chapter nineteen,

i'm sorry for taking so long to update! i'm currently working on a star-wars petekey&frerard au, (which you'll know if you read my spam hint hint,) and i've been really excited about that because i LOVE starwars and ojdlkfj idk mans i just love it and the idea of it and wow i'm a hype boy

also- this has drama, so that's taken a while for me to write. i hate confrontations, and writing them makes me get queasy kkadhfkjsdhf 

-

all of the buildings frank and gerard had gone past were getting fancier and fancier, more and more modern. eventually, gerard pulled him into a very, very tall building, with sleek concrete walls. 

frank stumbled behind him as he walked quickly and steadily, briefly speaking to a receptionist, before whisking frank into an elevator. frank barely had enough time to look around at the inside of the building- but it was quite boring. everything was modern and either black, white or grey- along with the people there, and their outfits. 

frank didn't really like how plain it was.

he played with the hem of gerard's shirt, smiling softly as gerard pulled him closer and wrapped an arm around his waist. "this won't take long, we can go get- er- ice cream or something after," he said quietly, before kissing frank's temple. 

frank grinned and nodded, leaning into gerard. the elevator opened, and gerard took frank down a hallway, before knocking on a large, dark door. it was opened for them, and frank watched as gerard and the woman shared a smile.

"back again, gerard?" she asked, and gerard chuckled.

"yeah, i- er- wish the government would just leave me alone," he replied, smiling at his feet. frank didn't like the way she looked at him, so he snuggled closer into gerard's side. gerard grinned at him, and kissed the side of his head lovingly. 

"oh, you two are lovely. i'm ms fallaher, but please call me monica. you are?" she asked frank, smiling warmly and offering him her hand.

"oh- i'm frank iero," he blushed, shaking hands with her and feeling a little stupid. 

"now, gerard- please, sit- we're going to need to talk about what you plan on doing, and you're going to need to fill out some papers-" 

frank zoned out, cuddling into gerard's side and staring out at the city, sighing contently. from this far up, the people on the streets looked like clusters of ants, the cars like little mice. he found it hard to focus on one thing, as everything just kept moving. 

"first time in the city?" monica directed towards frank, who snapped back into reality and smiled sheepishly, before nodding.

"yeah," he replied, looking down at gerard filling in paperwork. his handwriting was still nice.

"you'll get used to it after a while- the way it never stops. they don't call it the 'city that never sleeps' for nothing," she giggled, and he grinned back.

"good to know, i could run wild in a place like this," he said, his eyes trailing back to the window.

"er- all done, monica," gerard said, sliding the papers to her.

"thanks, gerard. hopefully i won't see you again for a while," she winked, and gerard flushed.

"yeah, hopefully," he waved to her, smiling awkwardly. "bye." he stood up, and pulled frank quickly out with him. "god, i hate that bitch," he grumbled as they got back into the elevator, and frank giggled in time with the ding of the door closing. 

gerard leaned down and kissed him softly, holding his chin with his thumb and forefinger, using them to tilt his head upwards. they pulled away right as the door dinged again, and frank giggled again. 

"i dunno, she was nice," frank murmured as gerard walked him back out into the bustling city. it was instantly colder, and frank's teeth began to chatter. 

"damn, almost september already, huh?" gerard asked, sliding off his suit jacket after tugging off the tie and shoving it into his pocket, and sliding the silk over frank's shoulders. his teeth stopped chattering, and he snuggled into gerard's side.

"what's your favorite color?" he asked while they walked through the crowds of people, drifting past the slow walkers. 

"huh?"

"favorite color? if we're going to be domestic, i want to know everything about you," frank nodded to himself.

"we're domestic now?" gerard asked, chuckling as he wrapped an arm around frank's waist. 

"yes, now answer the question." the smaller man pouted up at gerard, before stumbling. gerard caught him by the waist, and pulled him up, into his chest. "see?" frank breathed, their lips almost touching, "domestic."

gerard grinned, and pressed their lips together briefly. "teal, maybe. or yellow?" he continued to pull frank down the road.

"really? interesting." frank nodded, allowing himself to be dragged into another building. 

"er- this is my old work," gerard said, tugging frank's fringe with his fingers. "so be a little bitch for me, okay?"

"can do," frank giggled, almost gasping as gerard slid his hand into the back pocket of frank's skinny jeans. 

"gerry! i'ts so good to see you! i can't believe what happened- oh, who's this?" a red-lipped woman bounced over to them, and gerard smiled awkwardly at her.

"er- yeah, hey, lindsey. this is my frank," gerard said quietly, and frank put a hand on his hip.

"nice to meet you," lindsey said, grinning at frank. frank rolled his eyes, and gerard almost smiled at it. 

"i just gotta- er- grab some stuff from my office, so..." gerard pulled frank out of the conversation and down a hall, past cubicles and into an office. he sat frank in a desk chair, before gathering some books. frank occupied himself by spinning in the chair. 

suddenly, the door opened, and two men walked inside. gerard turned, and dropped his books out of fear. frank, on the other hand, jumped out of the seat. 

"uncle paul? it's been forever!" frank grinned, jumping into mr kendall's arms. 

gerard was shocked, he leaned down and gathered up his books, not meeting his ex-bosses eyes. "he's your uncle?" gerard asked, and frank turned to grin at him. 

"yeah! wow, it's been forever. i didn't know you knew each other!" frank laughed, but his face slowly fell as he saw the expressions on both of the other men's face- along with the third man, who had an arm on mr kendall's shoulder. "what- what's going on?"

"i think we need to talk about your uncle, honey." gerard's voice was shaking as he finally met the older man's eyes, the two glaring at one another. 

"why? what'd he do? it's not like he was your boss- wait. this- my uncle was your boss? who did that to you?" 

"yeah, frank. i did that to your boyfriend."