chapter twenty-one,

lol hi rats
sorry for not updating, i've been busy as school just started again and i've got midyears in a couple of weeks, and idk i haven't been motivated to write this story ahahah
anyways i lov u all, hope ur having a great day, sorry about the chapter xoxo
THANK U FOR 10K BY THE WAY IT MEANS A LOT
ALSO #1 IN THE FERARD TAG OMG THANK YOU UUEHSKSHDI

-

frank had only just begun to get used to easy living when gerard had received the call.

after the incident where frank had seen his uncle again, things slowly started to return to normal. frank and gerard slept together and gerard made him breakfast, (usually waffles and frank was kinda getting fat from all the sugar and he didn't really like it but don't tell gee that.)

their constant affectionate banter became something frank relied heavily on, as the young man also realised he loved gerard a lot more than he seemed to let on. he loved everything about the blond- his speech, his eyes, his caring nature, how big of a nerd he was, his brother. he didn't want to admit it- but he may have been in love with gerard, and that concept was scary to him, just as loving him once was- that memory now very distant.

however, as he watched gerard flick through a comic book, (wearing glasses to see the pictures properly, the nerd,) while listening to the music frank was playing through the surround-sound and giving comments on the lyrics or beat every once in a while, frank couldn't deny his love for gerard or how heart-eyed he got while staring at him.

gerard's phone began to buzz, and the blond signalled to frank to turn down the music, which he did obediently.

"hello? yeah, that's me. no, i'm with my boyfriend. yeah, sure," gerard replied to whoever he was talking to, standing and moving to kiss frank on the forehead, before going into their bedroom and shutting the door.

frank pouted, slumping in the arm-chair and tapping his fingers on his leg impatiently. he knew that gerard would only leave the room if it were the government on the phone, so frank knew he needed to let him have this phone call in peace.

he scrolled through instagram for a while, before checking snapchat, then facebook, then twitter. he should probably play his guitar again sometime soon, he thought, scrolling through his older photos.

he sighed, looking to the bedroom door. he was like a puppy, he couldn't bear to be without gerard for more than twenty minutes. they did almost everything together, and not having his presence was like not having a limb, frank felt like a part of himself was missing- even though the blond was a door away.

maybe listening in wouldn't hurt? it's not like they could see him.

frank dropped off the armchair into all fours, his phone now resting on the coffee table, and he crawled quietly over to the dark wooded door, pressing his ear against the crack at the floor.

"yes, i am sure i can't. why? because i have a- a boyfriend now. and i love him so much, and i don't want to risk- no, that's not fair," gerard sighed. "listen, it's just too dangerous. wait- seriously?"

frank heard him begin to pace as he talked, his words appearing quicker.

"well- that's fantastic. but is it guaranteed safety? no... right. i don't know. how about i call you back tomorrow with my answer? thank you. yeah, you too."

frank scrambled away from the door and onto the couch as he realised gerard had hung up, only just managing to land on the plush material when gerard opened the door.

the blond sent him a tired smile, and frank reached out with his hands at him, beckoning him over. gerard took residence on the couch, and frank curled on top of his boyfriend, looking up at him.

"who was that?" frank asked quietly, his chin resting on gerard's stomach.

"er- monica," gerard replied, pushing frank'a hair out of his face.

"your old boss? what'd she want?"

"she wants me to go somewhere, and do something for her- well, er, the government," gerard closed his eyes, breathing deeply as his fingers played with frank's hair.

"where? to do what?"

"somewhere in the middle east, to help them hack into an enemy base and their radio station, or something like that- all i know is that it's, er, in the war zone," gerard's eyes peeked back open as he looked down at frank, who'd gasped.

there was no guaranteed safety.

"do you- are you going?" frank sat up, and gerard smiled at the concern in his eyes.

"if you don't want me to then i won't," gerard told him honestly, tracing his fingers over frank's cheek.

"will you be helping people?"

"of course."

"is there anyone else that can do it?"

"i'm always the last resort, love," gerard sighed, and frank's bottom lip wobbled.

"well- well i don't want you to go."

"alright," gerard said, closing his eyes again.

"no, but-" frank sighed. "if you're the last resort, then you've gotta go. you've gotta help them," he reasoned with himself. "i don't want to be selfish."

"you're so wonderful," gerard commented as frank battled with himself.

"how long will you be gone for?"

"two weeks, probably. maybe more, maybe less. maybe more," gerard sighed, frowning at frank's pout. "i don't have to go, love. they can find a way around it."

"no, you gotta go. when are you leaving?"

"er- a few days," gerard shrugged, and frank smiled at him solemnly, before leaning upwards and connecting their lips.

"then... you're not leaving my side until then."