chapter twenty,

lol i listened to summertime & sunshine riptide while writing this and i cried like four times and so of course this is gonna have sad themes throughout idk i'm sorry my loves xoxoxoxooxx
(it's a filler though i guess don't worry about it) 

-

gerard was scared, terrified, even, and he felt very, very alone. frank sat next to him, and mr. kendall, along with his lawyer, across from them. they were talking about what happened, about how mr. kendall was in rehab and was trying to "get better."

gerard didn't hear any of it. his ears were buzzing, silent noise rumbling thickly in the back of his skull, giving himself a migraine and causing him to not focus on the conversation happening in front of him. he barely noticed it when frank would squeeze his hand every once in a while, and if he did, he'd awkwardly smile at frank. luckily his boyfriend didn't notice how hazy his eyes were.

he felt like he was on drugs, the second he'd gone near his ex-boss his world had gone cloudy. he couldn't look at the older man, either. he was disgusted that frank was related to this man. 

he swallowed thickly, reaching for his glass of water and taking three large gulps, as his throat was beginning to close. "if you'll excuse me," he muttered, his voice shaking slightly as he stood and made his way to the bathroom. 

staring at his reflection in the mirror, he grew progressively more and more ugly in his own vision. his eyes grew darker and he watched as his own eyes sunk back into their sockets, not noticing frank enter the bathroom behind him. 

"hey, gee," frank whispered, the sound echoing off the walls and startling the blond. 

"oh- hey, love," gee smiled again, straining to make his muscles move.

"what's going on?" 

"nothing, i just- i'm not feeling good." their eyes met, and gerard relaxed again instantly. 

"is it-"

"it's being around him, frankie. i'm scared."

"oh, gee, it won't happen again," frank replies, pulling gerard in for a hug. gerard slides his arms around frank's waist, and buries his face in frank's neck, breathing deeply. "i promise, gee. do you want to go?" he asked, and gerard nodded. "alright, let's go." 

the two left the restaurant hand in hand, not saying a word to frank's uncle- which frank almost regretted. though he loved gerard, his uncle was family, and he'd known him since he was a little kid. it was hard to have to let something like that go- but thoughts of whether he would've done things to frank, or any other of frank's family members or friends had made his blood boil hotter than it had been, and he was officially going to text his aunt about this. 

across town, in the apartment building that pete, mikey and patrick lived in, the latter two were quietly arguing outside of their bedroom. as it seemed, pete hadn't been taking his bipolar medicine- and was now in a depression. the two boys didn't know what to do; he hadn't been like this in a very, very long time. 

"i think we just leave him be, there's no way we can reason with him when he's like this, you know that, pat," mikey hufed, his arms crossed as he stared down at his boyfriend disapprovingly. 

"but what if he gets manic, and does something stupid?"

"then we can deal with it. i don't want to hurt him any further," their whispers were slowly getting louder, and mikey's eyes were slowly narrowing. 

the problem with their relationship is that they needed each other- mikey was a very anxious person, patrick being a very serious person, and pete's happy-go-lucky nature helped the two of them to relax, the same way that their seriousness or worry was necessary in some situations, and they'd taught pete that. however, when one of the three wasn't operating, they found that they'd fight more often. 

"please, 'trick. can we just take care of him?" mikey asked, and patrick sighed. 

"i don't want any of us to get hurt, mikes," patrick mumbled, and the taller boy pulled his boyfriend in for a hug.

"it's okay, we can figure this out. we've done this before, love, now can we go help our boyfriend?" mikey smiled nervously, and patrick smiled back.

"of course." they opened the bedroom door, met with a dark cave, and a large lump under a pile of blankets. 

"pete, honey?" mikey asked into the darkness, and the two watched the blankets shuffle slightly. 

"leave me alone," he croaked, and they nodded to one another. 

"we're here to take care of you, babe," patrick said, the two entering the room and shutting the door. 

"i don't care. go away."

mikey climbed onto the bed and pulled the lump to his chest, patrick laying on the other side of him. "i love you."

"and i love you," patrick added, holding mikey's hand. 

it was silent for a few moments, but eventually a small, "i love you both, too," was replied, and they were satisfied.

"i'm gonna get you a hot drink. mikes, stay close to him," patrick kissed the top of the lump, and then mikey's forehead, before leaving the room.

"you're gonna be okay," mikey murmured, and pete shuffled in his arms. 

frank and gerard arrived home safely, and when they'd gotten into gerard's apartment gerard realized how truly exhausted he was. "thank you for letting us leave when i was feeling back," he said to frank quietly, taking frank's hoodie and putting it to the side, before pulling frank into his chest.

"don't thank me, gee," frank replied, just as quiet. 

"i don't deserve you," gerard said, and frank shook his head. 

"that's untrue-"

"you're so perfect. i love you so much," gerard interrupted, kissing his forehead. frank cuddled closer into his chest.

"i love you too, gee."