chapter twenty-two,

hey, babies! sorry for not updating, my only excuse is no motivation to write for this fic- i've got a new one in the drafts that won't be published for a bit though ;-)
anyway, my warnings for the chapter is smut (oooooo) and frank crying (a lot) and some song references that i just couldn't help lmao

also i'm rewatching steven universe because of that last ep of season five (it was crazy omg!!!!) and now im like,,, spaced out. midway through season four rn and like, the way blue diamond talks about pink makes me a soft dad tbh

-

gerard was packed and ready to go and frank wasn't too sure on how to feel.

on the one hand, he was immensely proud of his boyfriend for being able to help their country, proud that gerard would be saving people! but on the other.. gerard could die. he could die and frank wouldn't know until a week or two later when someone would show up at his apartment and tell him. well- they'd technically have to show up at gerard's apartment, as frank wasn't leaving.

frank sighed, overwhelmed with emotions he couldn't describe as he gazed lovingly over at his boyfriend, who was currently sitting with mikey- sans boyfriends, who were in the kitchen with frank, attempting to help him make dinner. well, patrick was, anyway- pete didn't even know how to hold a spoon properly.

"hey," patrick murmured, watching frank's knuckles turn white as he gripped the spatula, "it'll be okay. he'll be okay."

"i hope so," frank whispered back, shaking his head as he blinked away tears.

they served dinner shortly after, and frank relished in gerard's large, warm hand resting on his thigh, squeezing softly every time he would chuckle at pete being an idiot. desert was easy- ice cream all around, except for frank who claimed to be full, but really, he was too nervous to eat any more.

gerard was leaving at seven the next morning. that was a mere nine hours, twenty three minutes and forty seconds. that was nothing.

the five all curled up in gerard's lounge, the three boyfriends on his sofa and gerard lay across the loveseat, pillows propping him up, with frank splayed across his chest. the four were watching a movie but frank wasn't paying attention, he just stared at gerard's features and gently traced his chest with his small fingers.

when gerard had shown the triplet out, mikey had cried into gerard's chest just as frank had been willing himself not to. he didn't understand how gerard was so calm about all of this- he was- he could- frank didn't want to think about it any more, but he couldn't help it, so he didn't notice when he also began to cry.

"hey, c'mon tiny," gerard sent him a lopsided smile, "there's no need to cry."

frank cried harder, running into his arms and allowing gerard to carry him back to their bedroom. gerard pulled frank's clothes off of him quietly, before stripping himself down, climbing into bed next to the shivering, sniveling boy.

"i don't want you to go," frank whimpered, clinging onto gerard's shoulders tightly.

"do you want me to call them and tell them to cancel my flight? because i will, right now-"

"no, you gotta go help," frank whined, falling backwards onto the pillows. "i'm just- is it selfish to not want you to go? you're gonna help so many people, but..."

"hey, i'm scared too," gerard said quietly.

"really?"

"of course i am, tiny. who'd be here to watch you when you sleep if i- er-" he trailed off, but frank half-ginned at him, the two falling into a silence.