10. Come true

<Nicky's POV>

I haven't talked to Lorna since our hug on the porch. The last few days I had thought about calling her to check on piper but she would notice that it was only an excuse to hear her familiar voice again.

I was sitting at my desk, looking out of the window, examining our neighborhood. How I hated it. It wasn't like Vause's neighborhood, no chattering, no kids, no teenagers. Sometimes a car would drive by, silently disappearing behind the next corner, leaving the streets untouched again. Most of my friends, who had visited me, told me how great this place was, the huge mansion and the big garden. It was a great place, the size and luxury were unbelievable, but no one besides Vause and Logan knew that I practically lived here all by myself. The last time I had dinner at our dining table with my mother and father was over 10 years ago. I couldn't even remember the last time I saw my father. My mother would come home occasionally, maybe once in three months. After staying here for a couple of hours, complaining how messy this place was, she would leave me money on the counter and leave again, without ever telling me where she was going.

I gently stroked the cover of my book; some would call it a diary. It was the book where I kept all my thoughts, memories and poems. For years it had such a sentimental value to me that I kept it next to my bed, locked in the top drawer. I leafed through it and read the entry I wrote a few days ago, after the incident at the club with Piper and Lorna. I remember how I came home that night, my head buzzing while I was trying to fall asleep. I could still feel the warmth of Lorna's body next to mine and was craving her touch, tossing around in my empty bedsheets. The emotions were so overwhelming that I was sitting at my desk until the morning, writing about Lorna, who in the meantime seemed to be my only thought.

A kiss is just a kiss until you find the one you love,
A hug is just a hug until you find the one you're always thinking of
A dream is just a dream until it comes true
Love was just a word until the day I met you

RING RING
my phone buzzed on the table, lightening up my dark room.
"What's up, Vause?"
"Did you hear about it? "She was yelling out of excitement.
"About what?"
"Boo is coming back!"
"No way!"
I was almost squealing as I remembered how much fun we used to have with Boo before she moved away.

<flashback>
"How many points?" Boo grinned at me devilishly.
"5" I mumbled, mad and embarrassed at the same time.
"Did you hear that Vause? She's only got 5. I've got 15" Boo laughed again.
"Ah, it's been three days. I mean, unless she's cloning herself, that seems highly unlikely." I mutter while clenching my teeth together.
"What's that smell? Nichols, you got a new fragrance?" Boo smirks while sniffing "Oh, yeah, it's desperation. You might wanna wash because girls turn right off when they smell that."
I couldn't believe that I was losing, I mean, I knew that I was the better one in this game; I was practically the master of it.
"How much time do you guys have left?" Vause asked, clearly amused by this competition.
"Four days. I freaking love this game!" Boo was still laughing.
"What game?" Caleb joined, curious about what game we were playing. Even though we had agreed to not tell anyone besides Vause, Boo was already bragging about her lead.
"A Bang-Off," Boo burst out in laughter again.
"It's a sex competition between the two of them. You see, people are worth different points. For example, if you fuck some stranger like her," Vause pointed at a slim, blonde girl "Then you get one point. That's the lowest score. Ten is the highest, but ten is somebody like a teacher."
Caleb frowned but looked intrigued at the same time.
"So, how much am I worth?"
"We only count girls," Big Boo was already looking around for her next catch.
"How about all girls must be human. Or would that be a problem for you Boo?" I turned to Boo.
"That happened one time. We were drunk"
"Do they have to cum for it to count?" Caleb was definitely interested in our game.
"Excellent question," Vause replied.
"Have to? Son, with me, they always cum," Boo looked at me.
"Oh only once? That's so sad," I faked a sad look on my face, knowing that it would make Boo mad.
I stood up and left with Vause, planning my strategy on how to catch up again.
"God, I screwed myself. I feel like Icarus whose wings melted before he could fuck the sun."

A few days later we ended the game, both exhausted by our little competition. Nobody else would have agreed to play this game with me besides Boo. Unfortunately, she moved away a few years ago.

<back to reality>
"Do you remember the fuck game we once played?" I chuckled, thinking back to how exhausted we had been.
"Of course, I remember how mad Kubra was as you fucked every girl of the entire city."

————

"Nicky and Vause, I had enough of you. Nicky, you will be assigned a new partner for this project." Mrs. Neil, our chemistry teacher, looked around our room, searching for someone to torture with my presence.
"How about Lorna?" She said.
I raised my head, surprised that she would choose Lorna out of all these people. A smile formed on my lips as soon as our eyes met. Sometimes I would be staring at her in lessons, without consciously knowing it. If I was lucky, I would catch her already staring at me.

I stood up, Vause slapping me on the butt while going to the front. I sat down next to Lorna, not quite sure what to say to her. Luckily, she started talking.
"Long Time no See, huh?"
"Yeah, it's been quite a while. How is Piper?"
"I think she is okay, even though she has been acting weird. Since the incident with Alex, she seems to be really pissed off by everything."
"I tried to ask Vause what happened, but she didn't bother to tell me" I turned my head to Vause who was still stealing glances at Piper.
I looked back at Lorna, who was still staring at me. Lost in her eyes, I was really glad that our chemistry teacher had brought us back together.

I was washing test-tubes as I saw Lorna and Vause talking to each other. Thinking back, I remembered how I saw them talking often, in the hallway, during math and even in the cafeteria. I frowned, wondering how much time they spent together.

„Alex seems really nice, I don't know what happened between her and Piper to make Piper hate her that much," Lorna was still smiling at a joke Vause had made.
„Morello, Vause is my best friend. I can't think of a reason why anyone could hate her."
Lorna's smile faded a bit by the honesty and directness of my words.
„You really are into last names, aren't you?" She grinned at me, back to the happy mood she always seemed to be in.
"Only the good ones," I smiled back, fascinated by her weird personality.
"I almost forgot. Vause told me something about a Sylvie? Do you know her?"
I couldn't believe that Vause told her about Sylvie since she was a very introverted person. She was discreet about her private life, especially when it came to relationships and family. On the other hand, I could understand her, Lorna seemed trustworthy and open-minded, unlike the typical stereotype of cheerleaders she was aloof and didn't judge people for their opinions or looks.
"Sylvie is Alex's girlfriend."
I looked at Vause, feeling a bit quirky that I had told Lorna. Lorna tilted her head, concentrating on this new piece of information, which could possibly solve the mystery.
"Maybe Piper is just jealous?" I suggested.
"Jealous of what?"
"That Vause has a girlfriend"
"Nah, don't be ridiculous. Piper isn't gay," Lorna shook her head.
"How would you know?"
"Cause she just broke up with her boyfriend."
"Whether you have a boyfriend or not doesn't mean anything. Even if you have one, it won't change the truth you carry inside."
Lorna looked down at her hands, nervously chewing her bottom lip. I knew she felt addressed. I described her situation with Christopher on purpose, to check if she maybe did like me by some miracle. And by the guilty look on her face, I was almost sure that she was attracted to me too.
Maybe dreams do come true.