45. Where I belong

<Nicky's POV>

"I knew that you two would get back together. You're made for each other," she nodded in approval while I was still staring at the red-head in front of me. My hands were still tightly holding onto the black notebook that changed everything.

Nicky motioned beside her, allowing me to sit down next to her. I don't think she was delighted by my presence or wanted me to encounter her. I think she didn't care anymore, it didn't matter what I said or what I did, or even who I was. At this moment, I thought I had lost her. After a few minutes of awkward silence, both of us zipping on our drinks, the live band began to play a song. Not just some song, but our song.

I guess I thought you'd be here forever
Another illusion I chose to create
You don't know what ya got until it's gone
And I found out just a little too late

I was acting as if you were lucky to have me
Doin' you a favor I hardly knew you were there
But then you were gone and it was all wrong
Had no idea how much I cared

Now being without you
Takes a lot of getting used to
Should learn to live with it
But I don't want to
Living without you
Is all a big mistake
Instead of getting easier
It's the hardest thing to take
I'm addicted to ya babe
You're a hard habit to break

You found someone else you had every reason
You know I can't blame you for runnin' to him
Two people together but living alone
I was spreading my love too thin 

After all of these years

I'm still tryin' to shake it
Doin' much better they say that it just takes time
But deep in the night, it's an endless flight
I can't get ya out of my mind

Being without you

Takes a lot of getting used to
Should learn to live with it
I don't want to
Being without you
Is all a big mistake
Instead of getting any easier
It's the hardest thing to take
I'm addicted to you
You're a hard habit to break

I felt the tears dripping down my cheek as the song ended and the sound of clapping filled the bar. Slowly, I glanced over at Nicky who was staring emptily at the drink in front of her. I knew exactly how she felt, or how she didn't feel. This familiar feeling of numbness and emptiness fills you, making it impossible to think or act.

"It's true. I actually thought you'd be here forever and I didn't value you until you disappeared. Then you were gone, and my- my life-" I inhaled deeply, trying to suppress the tears "my life fell apart without you, because without you- my life, it's- it's not worth living. It was the biggest mistake I ever made, and I'm so sorry that I messed it up."

Tears were rolling down my cheeks, dripping onto the wooden counter. Nicky didn't move, she kept staring at the scotch glass, numbed by the liquor. I waited for a few more seconds, hoping for any sort of reaction or response from Nicky. But none.

I got up, saddened by the sight of Nicky's numbness. Gently I stroked over Nicky's hand while laying the notebook on the table. The coldness of her hand sent goosebumps all over my body as I tightly held her hand, hoping that she would hear these last few words.

"I'm sorry for doubting you when you're the only one who ever had a reason for doubt."

Just as the waterfall of tears began streaming down my face, I turned around exiting the bar as quickly as possible.

I tried to wipe the tears away, but I felt a warm hand enclosing my wrist. The warmth of Nicky's hand caught me by surprise causing me to gasp. Without saying anything she gently wiped the tears from my cheeks and pulled me to the dance floor.

„What are you doing?" I asked bewildered.

"I'm finally making the right decision"

My heart melted as she said those words while she wrapped her arms around my waist and pulled me closer. Still, I was wondering why she would give me another chance after everything I had put us through.

"Why?"

"You're a hard habit to break," she referred to the song. I instantly wrapped my arms around her neck, mesmerized by the sincerity in her eyes.

------------------

She lifted the warm blanket as she crawled into the king-sized bed, wrapping her arms around me from behind. I felt the warmth of her body enclosing me slowly. I instantly smiled at the thought of how things had turned out after all the drama we had been through. She gently pressed her soft lips against my neck, leaving tingling sparks behind. 

"Good night," I mumbled as I noticed my thoughts slowly slipping away. 

"Good night, Lorna. Stay here this time." She chuckled as she referred to the mornings when I had to sneak out, suppressing the right decision of staying with her. Although her voice was filled with sarcasm and humor, I felt guilty for my mistakes in the past.

"Never again," I replied while taking her hand into mine. She slowly started drawing circles onto my skin as I drifted off to sleep. After a few minutes, her thumb came to a rest and I heard her breathing slow down. 

Just as I thought she fell asleep, I whispered "I love you," in hopes of her processing these words subconsciously in her sleep. A gentle squeeze of my hand pulled me out of my thoughts as Nicky whispered: "I love you too." 

Hearing these words from Nicky whilst her body was cuddled up against mine, the bed sheets protecting us from the rest of the world, I knew that this is where I truly belong. 

<><><><><><><>

!!!!BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!!

A/N: I have a huge announcement to make. This is the final chapter of "One of us", but before you get all mad at me, I have decided to continue the story of Lorna and Nicky in the sequel to "One of us" called "The two of us". 

So please check out the story of Nicky and Lorna, which will definitely surprise you. Thanks to all of you who have read my story this far. I would be honored if some of you left a comment, reflecting upon their opinions on this book. Also, I would be grateful for suggestions and ideas for the next sequel since I'm sure that y'all have creative minds. 

Check out the new sequel "The two of us". Thank you sooo much <3!