33. Welcome

<Nicky's POV>

One ocean. Too many countries to count and over 3000 miles. That was the distance me and Lorna were apart, but still was she in her hands, holding my heart. I forced my earbud back into my ear, ignoring the pain that struck through me as I scratched my skin accidentally. Even though Lorna was sitting on the other side of the globe, she still was caught up in my thoughts. Mad at this whole mess I got myself into I stood up hastily, wanting to get out of this plane as fast as possible.

"Stop crying and get your fucking act together" Vause slapped me slightly against the arm as we made our way out of the plane.

"I'm not crying, you're hallucinating"

"You're mentally crying, I can practically hear you thinking about her"

I hated the fact that she knew me this well.

--------------

He was blonde, blue eyes and pale skin, welcome in Europe, I guess. Although he was sitting, I could tell that he was tall and had a muscular figure. His eyes locked mine as I stepped forward, giving him my passport.

"Nicky Nichols" he mumbled at his screen while he scoffed a little. I usually got this reaction when I told people my name. When Vause had found out she had made fun of me for a whole year.

"What are you here for?"

"Student exchange program" I answered shortly, trying to not act suspiciously.

"Little too old aren't you?"

I frowned at his comment but didn't make the mistake to react to it inappropriately: "I'm a senior"

"Can I see the documents? Which exchange program is planning this?"

"Here" I slipped the stack of paper through the rectangular square in the glass as he still maintained eye contact, cautiously observing me.

"Mhmm... Are you staying here on your own?"

"No, my friend came with me. I think she's at another counter"

"Alright, how long will you be staying?"

"A couple of weeks, if I like it I can stay longer, extend the stay"

"Alright, then. Move along"

-----------------

"Welcome to beautiful Berlin" Aiden said as he welcomed me and Vause with a tight hug. I never liked this one, he was too committed to work. He would do anything for Kubra, that scared me.

"What are you doing here?" Vause asked who liked Aiden a lot.

"Didn't Kubra tell you? I'm flying from city to city, Madrid, Paris, London and now Berlin. So what do you want to do?"

"I'll guess we'll go see the hotel," Vause said, nudging me in the arm, telling me to show some initiative or excitement for our trip. But honestly, I wanted to get on the couch, watch a series and eat Pizza and Ben & Jerry's ice cream until I fall asleep.

--------------

"This place is huge," Vause said while she turned around, examining our hotel suite. One must say it was pretty luxurious. The two king-sized bed, the huge flatscreen hanging on the wall and the glass front, with a huge balcony, granting a view over the whole city. This must cost a fortune.

"This isn't bad, this isn't bad at all" I mumbled to myself, picturing myself lying on my huge bed, ordering room service, watching Netflix.

Vause was already tangled in her bed sheets, making herself comfortable. I hopped on it too, the sheets enclosing me with their fresh smell.

"How long will we be staying?" I turned my head to her.

"Don't tell me you wanna go home," Aiden grinned, almost upset with my question.

"We just arrived Nicky, don't be such an ass" Vause commented, of course taking Aiden's side.

"What is your problem, Vause. You've been hypersensitive since we got here too," I added, curious whether she was actually annoyed by me or was trying to act tough in front of Aiden.

"I'll leave you two alone, okay. Just meet me in the lobby in an hour, wear something appropriate, you're meeting friends" Aiden said while walking out of the door, leaving me and Alex in an uncomfortable silence.

"Sometimes two people have to fall apart in order to fall back together"

Could she just fucking stop it? I was so annoyed by her telling me that everything was going to be okay. Didn't she get it? Lorna doesn't love me. She never did and never will. At least it seems to me as if by being with Christopher, she is punished enough.

"Don't you get it?" I yelled "There is no falling back together. This between us was a fling, it's over"

"You really loved her didn't you?"

I stood up, avoiding the question. I refused to admit that I loved her, more than anything in this entire world.

I looked down over the city and lighted a cigarette, inhaling the smoke slowly. A voice from next door surprised me:

"You new around here?" A short-haired, slim girl said, holding her arms up against the sunlight, shielding her from the brightness. I stepped closer, intrigued by her sensitivity to the light in the midevening.

"Yeah, my friend and I just got here. We're staying for a bit. And you?" I asked while looking at the slightly red eyes.

"I'm fine"

I chuckled at her random response as my prediction was confirmed. She was high as a kite.

"You shouldn't be high on the 35th floor of a building. It can get dangerous"

"Ah-. I gotta go" she mumbled, scared that I caught her.

"I won't tell, don't worry. As if I'd give a shit about your health" I scoffed. She smiled at me, exhaling slowly out of relief.

"Poussey"

"Nicky, and that" I pointed to Vause who just stepped out on the balcony "is Alex"

"Nice to meet you," Vause said, appearing so innocent and mature. I almost chuckled as she waved at Poussey in a polite way, smiling her 'I actually don't want to talk to you'- smile.

"We have to get going, Nicky" Vause tapped my shoulder before she went back inside.

"Hopefully we'll meet again" Poussey grinned at me, her eyes not really meeting mine. It was hard to focus on somebody when you're high. I get that.

"Will do"

-----------------

"No fuckin way" Boo yelled at me from across the hallway.

"What are you doing here?" Vause asked confused while closing the door behind us.

"I live here"

"You live in a hotel?" Vause scoffed. Normally, I would have joined the conversation, but recently I didn't have any reason to talk. Maybe because I didn't have any interest in what they said. Or maybe because I was still thinking about Lorna. But mostly, because I knew that words count nothing if actions contradict your words.

"Nicky, why so quiet?" Boo laughed as she examined me, raising an eyebrow.

"We have to get going, Vause," I pulled at her wrist, dodging the question.

"You don't want to tell her, huh?" Vause asked, but I remained silent.