18. Sunshine and rain

We have reached 1 thousand reads. I am so happy and grateful for your support. Because this accomplishment means so much to me, I have decided to publish two chapters at once. Enjoy... <3

-------------------

<Lorna's POV>

The sun blinded my vision as I entered the school building for cheerleading practice. The silence in the hallway was comforting, allowing me to walk slowly and not rush to the next classroom like usually. I headed towards my locker, hoping to store some of my heavy books in there. The locker opened creaky, revealing my books, which were aligned neatly in alphabetical order. I stored a few more folders and books in there, closing the locker quickly. I picked up my bag as I saw a piece of paper which must have fallen out of my locker.

She was a rainbow, but he was color blind.

Nicky. She must have written that after our kiss, well almost-kiss. I felt the guilt and sadness rush over my body as I imagined how Nicky must have written this.

<imagination>

She fell to the ground, her hands trying to hold her head. Her forehead rested against the walls as she felt the cold concrete beneath her skin, reminding her of reality. The sadness and anger rising in her body were battling for dominance. Nicky, stood up, somehow managing to light up the joint in between her fingertips. After a few moments, the pain faded away, the feeling of calmness now spreading warmth in her body. Although her feelings were numbed, the memories were still there haunting her. She clenched her fists while searching for a pen, to express her madness in words. Eventually, she succeeded walking over to my locker, sliding it in while not even fully aware of her actions.

<imagination end>

For her to find the courage to actually put this note in my locker, required a certain level of subconsciousness. I could almost see her, her eyes filled with pain and madness, as she stumbled through these hallways, all alone enclosed by the darkness.

I read the note over and over again, trying to understand if she was mad at me for being with him. Or if she had just tried to express her jealousy. Thinking of the mysterious way Nicky acted normally, I could only hope for her to tell me at least something.

------------

The sweat was practically dripping down my forehead as our cheerleading practice had ended. I waited for everyone to leave the football field before locking the gate. Throughout our whole practice, I had been mentally absent due to Nicky's note, upsetting some teammates.

I slowly paced through the hallways, stopping every few seconds, trying to regain my energy. The heat was unbearable, making it even harder to breathe. I saw a figure standing on the other side of the hallway hastily searching something in her locker. Due to my blurry vision, I couldn't really tell who it was. To exhausted to react somehow, I tried to find my locker as I noticed that this person was standing in front of my locker. Nicky.

"Looking for something?" I asked, using the last breath I had.

"Gosh, scared me," she said, turning around, revealing the horrible state she was in. Her hair was messy, tied into a knot in her neck, her eyes were red and her eyelids were halfway closed, trying to shield her from the sunlight. I haven't figured out what happened to her after our almost-kiss, but I could tell that it wasn't good.

"How did you even get my locker open?"

"I can do a lot of things you don't know of"

I closed my locker, almost slamming it shut, causing her to flinch. Wow, badass Nicky just flinched. She really must have had a horrible night.

"What happened to you?"

"Lorna" she replied, her eyes closed. I stepped closer to her, grabbing her face and examining it closer.

"Did you smoke?"

"No."

"Are you high?"

"No."

"Did you get high yesterday?"

"No."

I knew that she was lying, it was obvious. And it still hurt every time.

"Why did you write that note?"

"What note?" she shrugged disinterestedly.

"Don't you do that again!" I felt the frustration as she continued to lie to me.

"Do what?"

I brought my hands up to my head, gripping my neck, releasing some of the built-up stress.

"Shut me off."

She shrugged, pulling out a cigarette and lighting it. As she inhaled she tilted her back, looking calm and relieved at the same time. How could she? She knew I hated when she acted like this. She was so caught up in her badass-act that she acted...inhuman.

"I never let you in" That was a lie, I could tell by the conversations we had, by the way she looked at me, but still I felt it sting in my chest.

"Maybe I did the right choice by not choosing you. In the end, you're wearing this interesting mask, but once I got to know you I realized, there's nothing behind it."

Her eyes were fixated on the floor, clearly concentrating on my words.

"The diary Boo showed me was right, the only thing you're good at is fucking people over," I muttered, turning around, ready to storm off.

I heard her throw her cigarette to the floor.

"Only both sunshine and rain can create a rainbow"

"So you are the sunshine?" I scoffed at her words.

"I am the rain. You" she pointed at me "are the sunshine"

Instinctively I smiled at her words, trying to suppress the rising joy at her words. Nicky just had that effect on me, no matter how sad I actually was.

"Who is the rainbow?" I asked.

"You" she looked at me, her eyes locking with mine.

"How can I be the rainbow and the sunshine at the same time?"

She smiled at my words, amused by my thought.

"It's true" she whispered.

"What do you mean?"

"What I said earlier."

It couldn't be. Her eyes were all puffy and red, her outer appearance, in general, was a mess.

"Why do you look this horrible then?"

"I thought you'd like this look" she grinned at me, clearly avoiding my question.

"Just answer my question"

"Haven't you ever had a bad day?" she winked at me, before turning around and walking out of the school building. A bad day. She cried? Oh my god, Nicky cried.