Its's Not A Date

"I've actually never even seen this place." Thomas laughed as he stopped in front of a small cafe.
"It's a big place and we haven't been here long." Newt shook his head at his friend. "You can't expect to have the entire campus committed to bloody memory."
"Just shut up and get inside." Thomas childishly stuck his tongue out then held open the door. "Age before beauty."
Newt rolled his eyes but went inside without another word.
His stomach wouldn't settle as he fully entered the cafe. He didn't know how the brunette could do what he did to him, but he was sure that he'd never felt the erupting butterflies in his stomach before that Thomas could give him by just looking at him for a fraction of a second. He was hooked from the first time he looked at the boy. Thomas was goddamn addictive.
Thomas followed behind close enough that Newt could feel the heat radiating off him. It sent shivers down Newt's spine but he willed himself to stay still.
They stopped in front of the counter to look at the menu.
"This is on me." Thomas grinned, pulling wadded up bills out of his pocket.
"No, I brought money I can pay my half..." Newt protested but cut off by Thomas repeatedly shaking his head.
"I said it's on me."
"But..." Newt started but Thomas quickly put his hand over his mouth.
"No." He smirked, realizing he won, and pulled his hand away. Newt felt his cheeks turn bright red and he diverted his gaze to the floor.
"Alright I know what I'm getting. What about you?" Thomas asked after a few moments of silence.
Newt quickly looked up and nodded, he actually didn't know, but he made a split decision to just get a hot chocolate and a muffin.
Thomas ordered for them while Newt looked for a table. There was an open two person seating by the window that had a nice view, so he chose that one. He sat across from the empty chair, waiting for Thomas to come with the food.
As he was waiting he zoned out, staring at the campus sidewalk. His mind wandered to this being an actual date with Thomas, they'd have lunch and hold hands and before Newt left Thomas would kiss...
"Here you go sir." Thomas dramatically put Newt's food in front of him, making Newt jump and snap out of his daze.
"Thanks Tommy." Newt mumbled as he blew on his hot chocolate.
Thomas stopped and cocked his head. "What did you just call me?"
Newt instantly turned deep red. "I...uh...I'm sorry I meant Thomas," he stammered, mentally cursing himself. Of course he would accidentally call him one the pet names he daydreamed about.
Thomas shook his head and laughed. "Jeez Newt, relax it's fine. You can call me Tommy, but only you, don't let Minho start too."
"Okay...Tommy." Newt smiled a bit.
Thomas just stared at him, obviously trying to hold in a laugh. "Oh Newt, you are something else."
Newt hid his face by taking a sip of his drink as butterflies erupted in his stomach...this boy was going to be the actual death of him.
"Alright so why do you wanna go into the health department?" Thomas asked as he bit off a piece of his bagel.
"I wanna save people, cure people. I've always wanted to help, that's also why I'm taking psychology...to help people that their problems aren't purely physical."
"That's so awesome!" Thomas exclaimed as he swallowed what was in his mouth.
"You really think so?" Newt asked suddenly feeling more confident in his life choices.
"Hell yeah! You're too good for this world. " Thomas reached over the table and ruffled the blonde's hair.
"Well why'd you get into architecture?" Newt asked as he swatted Thomas' hands away.
"That's actually a good question, because I don't exactly know. I guess I chose it because I'm good at it? When I was still in high school I had a side job at WICKED, I watched them draw blueprints and sometimes I got to sit on the trucks and watch the construction..." Thomas trailed off carefully watching Newt's expression. "I'm sorry, am I boring you?"
"No, not at all." Newt shook his head making Thomas smile brightly. If put to it, that smile could probably cause world peace.
"You know Newt, I'm really glad I met you. I think you're my favorite person on this campus."
Newt swore his heart stopped beating.

"Tommy, I told you, you don't have to walk me back. I'm not a little kid." Newt rolled his eyes. He secretly enjoyed the attention though, he was thankful for any amount of time he could spend with Thomas.
"That is correct, you're not a kid but you are little therefore I must walk you back." Thomas declared.
Newt just kinda growled at the other boy which made Thomas burst out into laughter.
"You actually look like an angry kitten when you do that!"
"Stop." Newt whined, crossing his arms.
"Okay, I'm done." Thomas wiped his eyes and took a deep breath.
"Don't you have class?" Newt shot Thomas a sideways glare.
"Not till 4." Thomas winked. "You can't get rid of me that easily kitten."
"Stop calling me that!" Newt groaned.
"Hmm." Thomas paused to think for a moment. "I could call you Newtie or Newton."
"Or Newt," he added in.
"I'll think of a good nickname, I mean it's only fair, you get to call me Tommy."
"I'll call you Thomas."
"Awh come on don't pout." Thomas dramatically frowned.
"Tommy?"
"Yeah?"
"Shut the bloody hell up."

After Thomas dropped Newt off at his dorm he had an hour to get ready for his next class.
He watched Thomas disappear down the hall then hurried into his dorm and jumped onto his bed. He immediately pulled out his phone and texted Thomas after he changed his contact name to Tommy.
Newt: Thanks for lunch Tommy
Thomas responded quickly after
Tommy: It can't happen again
Newt instantly felt his stomach drop, he was about to shut off his phone before another text came in.
Tommy: You know, because all the signs say don't feed the animals...I'm pretty sure cats are animals
Newt rolled his eyes and shut off his phone, pretending he was annoyed, but he couldn't wipe the smile off his face the rest of the day.