Unneeded Protection

The entire next week Thomas was glued to Newt's side. He never left him unless he had to. Now normally that would make Newt extremely happy, and it did for the first day, but after that it just got kinda annoying.
"So where are you going now?" Thomas asked as they stuffed their books from their psychology class into their book bags as they got ready to leave.
"I was thinking about just watching a movie in my dorm, maybe study a little, probably nap." Newt shrugged as he slung his backpack over his shoulder.
"Cool, I'm down for that."
Newt let out a small laugh, trying not to sound irritated. "We can hangout later Tommy, not tonight."
Thomas frowned, looking hurt. "Are you mad at me?"
"No, I just need some time by myself okay, I gotta catch up on homework and sleep. We spent ALL week together." Newt gave him a weak smile.
"Can I at least walk with you back to the dorm?" Thomas stuck out his bottom lip.
"Sure." Newt laughed as they left the classroom.
"Can I come over after you nap?" Thomas asked as they walked on the sidewalk heading to the dorm building.
"I have to study too, tonight just isn't good Tommy." Newt paused for a moment. "Hey, why have you been following me around since the weekend. It's not because of what I told you right?"
Thomas stayed silent and busied himself by looking at the leaves on the trees.
"Thomas!" Newt snapped, suddenly feeling extremely defensive.
"Yes! Okay! I just wanted to make sure that you're okay and you know, that you don't feel alone."
"I told you I'm fine now!"
"I know, but it freaked me out a little bit. I just wanted to make sure you're still okay." Thomas took a step closer but Newt quickly stepped back.
"I'm very sure."
"I'm sorry Newt I was just worried." Thomas put his hands out in surrender.
"I don't want you to worry about me." Newt shook his head. He honestly wasn't even too sure why he was so furious. He was fine now, he hated being looked at like something was wrong with him. Nothing is or ever was wrong with him.
"I can't help it Newt! When...when you told me that it freaked me out! I got scared, like anyone would be!"
"Thomas I'm fine!"
"I know, but it's easier to get through things when you're not alone. I wanted to prove to you that I'm here."
"I can take care of myself."
"I know you can, I just want to protect you!" Thomas looked at Newt innocently, sadness coating his eyes. "You're my friend and I care about you, okay?" Thomas added softly.
Friend, the word hit Newt like a knife in the heart. All the time they spent together was completely platonic. Thomas didn't like him, Thomas would never like him. They'd always just be friends, and in that moment nothing could have made Newt angrier.
"Well you're not my mom and you're not my boyfriend so stop fuckin acting like it!" Newt snapped.
Thomas stopped walking instantly, hurt flashing across his face. Newt's fists were balled at his sides and he was breathing heavy.
"Fine." Thomas shook his head. "Sorry for caring!"
Newt's expression slightly softened, "Tommy look I didn't mean it li..."
"No! Screw you Newt! And don't call me that!" Thomas shouted then turned and started walking in the other direction.
"You know what, fine! I don't need you anyways!" Newt yelled back then started speed walking to the dorms. Tears pricked his eyes as the anger still burned hot in his stomach. He walked as fast as his limp allowed him to. He focused on his shoes as he went so no one could see his probably horrifying expression.
To his luck he ran into someone straight on.
"Sorry." Newt mumbled as he looked up at the boy he ran into.
"Oh hey Newt...woah are you alright?" Gally asked.
"Does it look like I'm bloody alright!?" Newt growled as he looked up at the taller boy.
"Come on." Gally ignored his comment and lightly took hold of his upper arm. "Let's go talk."
Newt didn't even have the strength left to fight it so he just went along with his roommate.

"What's wrong?" Gally asked for the 4th time.
Newt was sitting on his bed just staring at the door, as if he was expecting someone to walk through it.
"Hey, you can talk to me," Gally said as he gently shook Newt's arm.
"I don't want to." he mumbled.
"Then I can't help you."
"You can't fix it!" Newt snapped, suddenly feeling angry at everything."I screwed up, it's on me!"
"What did you screw up?"
"He probably hates me!" Newt buried his face in his hands. "I ruined it."
"It's about Thomas isn't it?"
Newt nodded, his face still in his hands. "Is it that bloody obvious?"
"I doubt he hates you." Gally crossed the room and sat on his own bed, giving Newt space.
"No he does, I know he does." Newt looked up at his roommate. "He just cares about me and I pushed him away."
Gally shrugged. "Not everyone needs help, you don't always have to accept it."
"I yelled at him though, I said things I didn't mean."
"You guys had one fight, friends fight."
Friends, there was that damn word again. Newt didn't want to be friends with Thomas. He wanted to get into his bed and do more then just sit there. He wanted to pay for his stupid coffee and hold his hand when they walked back from psychology. He wanted to kiss him awake in the morning and kiss him goodnight. He wanted to wear his hoodies and hickeys all over his neck to show he's Thomas', because he is. He was head over heels for a boy who didn't see him as more than a friend.
Newt groaned loudly and flopped backwards onto his bed.
"If it's tearing you up so much then just text him!"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Because he hates me and all I wanna do is kiss him."
"I knew you liked him!"
"We're just friends Gally," Newt whispered. That word felt like poison on his tongue.
"You like him though."
"It doesn't matter! We're friends and that's all we're gonna be! He likes Teresa." Newt snapped then rolled over and faced the wall, drowning in his own sorrows. "Just friends."
"Maybe Thomas feels the same way you do." Newt heard the bed springs squeak as Gally got up. "You'll never know for sure if you don't ask. Now I'm going to the coffee shop, I'll bring you something back."
He couldn't make himself close his eyes, his stomach was twisting and his heart beating steady.
It wasn't fair that a boy could affect him this much.
He pulled out his phone and opened Thomas' conversation.
I lied, I do need you Tommy
delete
I'm sorry, I didn't mean any of that
delete
I don't want to fight with you...
delete
Tommy, please talk to me...I need you
Just as Newt was deleting the message his finger accidently hit the send key. He took in a sharp breath of air as he saw half his message send.
Tommy, please talk to me
He sighed in relief that the last part didn't send but cursed that the first half did.
He turned off his phone and went to put it back on his nightstand, but to his surprise it lit up with a message.
Tommy: with Teresa, later
Newt threw his phone at the wall.