Chapter 11

"So all these notes go from A to G and they repeat over and over in tune and pitch."

I listened carefully as Dawn sat and explained to me as she held her own keyboard with her. I watched as she touched each key and each note.
I watched as she placed her fingers down on the keyboard playing a simple tune of "hot cross buns" before letting me try...

Placing my fingers on the three keys I did the same as her, repeating the same notes over and over.
This happened over a few weeks of practice, I just copied what she did and continued playing.
After I learned a new tune would teach me a more complex tune. It was more of a memory game which were hard but I enjoyed playing as much as I could.

It was odd that she never took me to her house though, we always either went to the park or if it was raining we'd sit in her car...
Afterwards she would always stop by McDonald's or some shop to get me food or hot chocolate.

It was getting a bit late when she dropped me off...the street lights were on and the moon was starting to get high.

"Fhanks again Dawn."

I waved at her from outside her window. She waved back as I walked off to the apartments.

"Hey any time alright lov'. I'll see you tomorrow okay!"
She rolled up her window before driving off.

Mum was usually asleep or too drunk to say anything by the time I came home...so there wasn't much to worry about.
Every so now and then she'd shout at me but that never effected me as much as I use to.

Walking up the steps and opening the door I looked to see mum as usual, sleeping on the sofa, half a glass of bottle of wine and smeared lipstick.

I walked passed her without bother, heading to my room to relax for the rest of the day.

It had only taken me a few seconds to realize that i was missing something.

"My keyboard!"

I immediately began putting my jumper back on, sliding on my shoes...
I mean...Dawn had previously given me a spare a few days back but it just wasn't the same without the original!

Surely mum wouldn't mind if I nipped out for a bit, besides...Dawn couldn't of gone far. She probably realized I left it there too.

Opening the door again to leave I closed it gently, only to rush down the steps by the bus stop.

It was very dark...nothing but the streetlights lit the pavement. That and every so now and then a car went by.

I have to find her somewhere. Where could she have gone? Running down the sidewalk to where i saw her leave to I hit a crossroads. It was probably best if I went back home...but wait...where was home?

Every street looked the same and I couldn't find out where i came from.
I decided to try and go the way I think I came from but that just lead to more confusion.

I began running in what felt like massive circles. Ending up in the same place I started at.
Pretty soon I became exhausted and cold.
Eventually I crossed over something familiar. The park.
Running towards the area I was stopped by an older kid in a black hoodie.

"Gimme your money you wettie."

I looked at the kid and chuckled a bit as he removed his hood with a half smirk.

"Danny!"
I quickly wrapped my arms around him giving him a tight squeeze.

"Hey short stack, what are you doing out so late?"

"I left my keyboard in a mate's car and I thought I could catch her before she went to far..."
I explained, scratching the back of my head a bit embarrassed.
"And I kinda got a bit..."

"Lost?"
He gave me a half chuckle and ruffled my hair.
"Heh. No worries. I'll take ya home."

I smiled gladly and thanked him, grabbing his hand we began walking together.

"So why are you out late? It's so cold outside."
I shivered a bit as I said so. The wind blowing my short blonde hair.

He shrugs.

"My parents aren't home and...Aggie locked me out of the house."

"That's awful. It's freezing outside."
I shivered a bit as another cold breeze shot through my body.

We chatted a bit while we walked, mostly about how cold it was and how cold his family was.

Once we reached the building Danny shivered.

"I'd walk up to your door with you but...i don't want to upset your mum again."

I frowned as I looked up at him. What exactly did Mum tell him? Probably something awful...mum was a bit scarry at times.

"T-That's alright Danny... I know you won't cause trouble."
I kept ahold of his coat as I looked at the building.
"I guess it's...bye then."

I watched him turn to leave but stop to look at me.

"S-Si...you're hand. Can I have my jumper back please?"

My face reddens in embarrassment as I quickly let go. Apologizing to him about not letting him go.

I didn't want him to go...he was cold and alone. But if it saved him from mum's death stare and me from spending an eternity being grounded to my room.

So I let him go into the cold, traveling my way up the steps and opening the door to the warm inside...