Chapter 1

"It's over..."

--------------------------------------------

"They can't just be gone," Cisco shouted at Harry as they continued to fight. It had been over 24 hours since Thawne had been dealt with, and there was still no sign of Barry, nor Y/N. Every member of the team was on high alert, unsure of what was to come next.

Harry chuckled, "How many times do I have to explain to you that the plan they had was stupid!" Harry yelled back. "It doesn't surprise me that something went wrong, besides we know that they're in the speed force, we just have to locate them and bring them back," Harry explained.

"The longer they stay in there the more at risk they are," Caitlin intervened. "Even if they are in the speed force they could be in need of medical attention, we need to find them...and fast."

"Heroes don't always come home," Joe said, joining the conversation. Joe sat in front of the team, he had been at a loss for words, two of the people he cared for most were missing, without a trace of them left behind. He had learned to think of Y/N like a daughter, and he adored her. He adored the way that she adored Barry, the way she managed to make him happy, how they were each other's everything. But now both of them were gone, his son was gone...

"What if I Vibe into the speed force and try to track them down?" Cisco suggested.

Harry shook his head, "That wouldn't work, you'd go into the speed force and you'd be searching blind, you have no idea where they are...we don't have a way to locate them in the speed force, yet."

"And how do you suggest we do that?" Joe asked. "I'm pretty sure that the speed force doesn't exactly have GPS tracking."

Harry, as well as the rest of the team, stood silent for a moment. "We don't know how to track them Joe, but I am sure that we will figure this thing out. We miss them just as much as you do, Joe. And we are going to do everything in our power to bring them back," Harry told Joe.

Joe sighed, "I have to head down to the station," he said standing up and heading for the door. "Just bring them home."

The team continued to brainstorm for hours but to no avail.

"How long has it been?" Cisco asked.

Caitlin turned to look at the clock, "Almost 36 hours," she answered.

Harry was growing tense, "The longer they're in there the more risk they're at. A speedsters metabolism is extremely fast, every minute they stay in the speed force their glucose level continue to fall," he explained.

Caitlin nodded, "I agree, we need to get to them and fast."

"What about a quark-sphere," Cisco suggested. "We used one after we defeated Savitar, it mimics a person's genetic markers, but what if we altered it to track a specific person's genetic markers."

Harry perked up, "That might just work,  I don't suppose you happen to just have quark-sphere lying around...do you?" Harry asked.

"Do I have a quark-sphere lying around," Cisco mocked. "Of course I do," he replied. "What kind of person doesn't have a spare quark-sphere just lying around in case of emergencies."

"This is not the time for mockery Ramon, right now we need to focus on getting Barry and Y/N both back in one piece," Harry said.

Cisco put his hands up, "Okay, sue me for trying to lighten the mood," he said following Harry down to his workstation.

--------------------------------------------

Several hours and cups of coffee later Harry and Cisco had managed to modify the quark-sphere so that it would track not only Barry's genetic markers but also Y/N's.

"Okay, try not to stick around in there for too long, just find Barry and Y/N and then get out," Harry instructed as he handed Cisco the newly modified quark-sphere.

"Got it," he said opening a breach to the speed force in the middle of the Cortex, "Here goes nothing."

Cisco entered the speed force and activated the quark-sphere, it led him to Y/N in what seemed like minutes, he saw her in the distance, laying on the ground, unmoving. Cisco ran to her side, he was relieved when he finally felt a pulse, he looked up and saw Barry as well, but he also knew that he could bring one of them back at a time.

Cisco went back through the breach and into the Cortex, Caitlin and Julian were both ready when he brought Y/N back, Joe also stood near them, happy to see that Y/N was back.

"I'm gonna go back and get Barry," Cisco said running back through the breach and right to Barry's side.

Cisco froze when he didn't feel a pulse, Barry was cold and unmoving...

"No..."