Chapter 40

Later that week Y/N swung by the station, it was getting late and Barry still hadn't come home. Y/N assumed that he was trying to figure out something on their mystery case. She walked into his lab and saw him with his head down on his desk, his soft snores could be heard from the doorway.

Y/N smiled as she walked over to him, gently waking him. "Come on, let's go home," Y/N said helping him up.

"How late is it?" Barry asked groggily, still tired.

"Too late," Y/N replied, handing him his jacket. "You should come home and get some rest," she told him.

Barry sighed, "I was really hoping to find a lead on this case tonight."

Y/N rubbed circles on his back, trying to soothe him. "I'm sure you will soon, Barr. But you need to relax and stop stressing over this case."

Barry nodded slowly, knowing that Y/N was right, "Yeah," he said standing up and pulling his jacket on. "I guess you're right, I should go home and sleep for a while," he added.

Y/N smiled, putting her hand in his, "I'm always right," she teased as she kissed Barry's cheek.

----------------

The next day Y/N woke up before Barry, she looked up and saw him fast asleep. His face completely relaxed as he slept sprawled out on the bed, his arm draped over her waist loosely. Y/N smiled as she brushed a piece of hair out of Barry's face, the sun bouncing off his skin lightly.

Y/N quietly slipped out of their bed, changing into a pair of sweats and one of Barry's old t-shirts before speeding down to C.C. Jitters and grabbing them both a cup of coffee. She stepped back into their room and saw Barry just as she had left him, only now he slept on his stomach.

Barry woke when he felt the bed dip beside him, he opened his eyes and saw Y/N smiling down at him, he couldn't help but smile back. He sat up and noticed she was wearing one of his old CCPD t-shirts, he liked how she looked in it.

"How long have you been up?" Barry asked, gladly taking the cup of coffee from Y/N.

Y/N shrugged, sipping on her own coffee, "Not long, just long enough to run down and get us both some coffee," she told Barry. "How long are you going to stay?" she asked him, knowing that he wanted to get back to work and his case.

Barry looked down, knowing that Y/N would rather have him stay home for a while, and truth be told he too wanted to spend the day at home with her, but he didn't have a choice. Innocent people were dying, the body count climbing the longer they didn't catch this guy. Barry couldn't just stand by and watch that all happen.

"I don't know, pretty soon," Barry answered.

Y/N moved to sit beside Barry, snuggling slightly into his side as he wrapped his arm around her, "Do you have to go?" she asked him.

Barry looked down at Y/N, "Sadly, yes," he replied. "Though believe me, I would much rather be spending my day here with you," he added.

Y/N couldn't agree more, "I might go patrol the streets for the day, see if anything turns up. It'd be great if you could join me," she mentioned.

"I might have to, it's been a while since I went for a good run," Barry said sitting up and little more and kissing Y/N's lips briefly before standing up and speeding to get himself ready for the day.

Y/N stood up, standing in front of Barry as he pulled on a shirt, "You be sure to come home early," Y/N reminded as she finished buttoning up Barry's shirt for him, Barry smiled at the gesture.

Barry's hands settled on Y/N's waist, gently pulling her closer, "I won't forget, and I won't be late," he said capturing her lips in a sweet kiss. 

Y/N smiled into the kiss, "Good, I'll see you later," she mumbled against his lips before he sped off.

---------------

Y/N sped into the Cortex, greeted by Cisco as she sat down beside him, "Hey, what's up?" Y/N asked putting her feet up on his desk.

Cisco smirked up at her before pushing her feet off of his desk, "Not much, it's pretty slow around here today. Shouldn't you be helping Barry with those murder cases?" he asked.

Y/N shrugged, "I figured I could patrol the streets, see if anything turns up."

"I doubt it will," Cisco told her, turning back to his computer, "The streets have been quiet today, almost too quiet," he said with an eerie tone.

Y/N nodded, "I guess I'll find out," she said speeding into her suit and racing out of the Cortex.

Y/N spent a large majority of her day running around the city, stopping a crime here and there. But for the most part, Cisco was right, the streets were quiet, nothing major was going on. Y/N eventually grew bored, she found herself perched on a rooftop, looking over the city as the sunset glowed in the distance.

She was sitting in silence when she saw a familiar flash of lighting zoom past her. Y/N smiled as she turned and saw Barry sitting beside her in his suit, his mask off like hers.

"Hey," Barry greeted as he placed a bag of Big Belly Burger in Y/N's lap. "I thought you might be hungry," he added.

"Well then, you thought right," Y/N told him, opening the bag and pulling the food out.

Barry wrapped his arm around Y/N as she ate, "Have you been out on the streets all day?" he asked.

Y/N nodded, "The streets have been oddly quiet believe it or not. Even Cisco thinks that it's weird," she mentioned.

Barry didn't disagree, "Yeah, I didn't see much on my way over here either."

Y/N leaned her head against Barry's shoulder, "You know how long it's been since we've done this?" she asked.

Barry smirked, pulling her closer to him, "Far too long," he replied. "I've missed this, running around and getting to feel like I'm finally making a difference."

Y/N furrowed her brows, looking up at him. "You do make a difference Barr, Flash or not you are still a hero," she told him.

Barry turned, flashing Y/N his signature smile, "You always know just what to say," he said leaning in to capture her in a kiss.