Chapter 27

Y/N struggled to regain her grip, she eventually got both hands caught on the steel beam of the window, but she still couldn't find the strength to lift herself up with the tilt of the building.

--------------------------------------

Moments before, Devoe had told Cassidy that she had failed him, that was right before he snapped her neck.

"What the hell?" Barry questioned.

Devoe chuckled, "She's a metahuman Barry, just like you. She is what is wrong with this city, and I have every intention of fixing it," he said before throwing another punch at Barry.

"Y/N, Barry, we can't find Cassidy, but that building looks like it is going to come crashing down any minute, we're working on a way to get you out of there," Oliver explained.

"That's because Devoe killed her," Barry said as he continued to fight with Devoe, he had gotten very precise with using pocket dimension breaches to his advantage. Every time Barry even got close to landing a hit, Devoe simply slipped out of his grasp.

Barry was growing rather tired from fighting a losing fight, he threw one last punch, but in doing so, he lost his balance.

The last thing Barry remembered was falling back, his back shattering the glass when he fell through it...

--------------------------------------

Before anyone on the team could react the building began to fall, crumbling chunks of concrete and glass cascaded down onto the street, they all watched in horror as it unfolded right before their eyes.

"Barry is still up there," Cisco said in a panic.

"So is Y/N," Oliver added.

A cloud of dust fell over the area, causing a haze to form. "Kara, Ray, we need to search through the rubble," Oliver said running towards the now collapsed building.

Cisco stood in disbelief, he couldn't do it, he couldn't open the breach in time...he wasn't fast enough.

"Guys!" Ray yelled, calling everyone over. "We found Barry!"

Oliver ran to his side and was horrified by what he saw, Barry was barely conscious. He had a steel rod pushing through the left side of his torso, his chest rose and fell rapidly. Barry's eyes were barely open, and he was coughing up blood.

"Y/N," Barry choked out. "Y/N..." he repeated.

"Did anyone find Y/N?" Oliver asked, dropping to his knees on chunks of concrete beside Barry, holding his hand.

Ray shook his head, as did Kara. They looked down in shock at Barry as he was covered in dirt and blood.

"Oh my God," Cisco said, looking up.

They all watched her rise from the rubble in the distance, completely covered in dust and blood. Her face bore a number of cuts and scratches, and her suit was nearly torn into ribbons in several places. Blood dripped down one of her arms. As she continued to step forward, she limped a bit, favoring her uninjured leg. Y/N looked like she had fought Death...and won.

She stumbled over to the rest of the team, her heart shattered when she saw Barry.

"No," she practically whispered, falling to her knees beside him, "You're okay, you're okay," she cried, unable to take her eyes off of his injuries.

"Y/N, you're hurt pretty badly," Caitlin said trying to examine her. Y/N shrugged her off, giving her full attention to Barry.

"Can we just pull it out?" Oliver asked Caitlin and Julian as they struggled to completely assess his injuries.

Julian shook his head, "If we pull it out it could shred his organs, the rod is keeping the bleeding to a minimum, pulling it out, puts him at a very high risk," he explained.

"We aren't prepared to handle this," Caitlin added.

Y/N had tears falling down her cheeks, "You hang on, Barry...I'm not ready to say goodbye to you..." She cupped his face in her hands.

He could barely open his eyes, the ache spreading like a wildfire throughout his body. Barry looked up at her weakly, the pain overwhelming him. "I love you," he said. "So much...and I'm sorry..."

Y/N shook her head, "We're gonna get you out of here."

"No offense, but you look like crap," Barry joked, barely awake.

Y/N forced a weak smile, "You don't look so great either," she replied.

"Y/N," Barry said. "Come here," he said pulling her into his arms, careful to avoid his injuries, "Don't leave me..."

Y/N couldn't bear the thought. She did not go through the trouble of resetting the timeline and a building collapse just to end up with the same terrible outcome of fate for Barry.

Kara stepped forward, "The medical facilities at the D.E.O. on my Earth...they can save him. They're equipped to handle this sort of thing," Kara explained. "I'm happy to take him there," she added.

Julian nodded, "You need to move quickly."

"Cisco? Can you open a breach?" Kara asked.

Cisco was then pulled from his thoughts, which were filled with blame for himself. "Yeah," he said opening one.

Kara ran through the breach and returned with a medical team, they immediately rushed to Barry and pulled him away from Y/N. She tried to get to him, but Oliver held her back, she cried, yelled, and tried to wriggle from Oliver's grasp.

"Y/N, they've got him," Oliver said hugging her. "He is in the best possible hands now..."

Kara walked forward and hugged her as well, she pulled back. "Y/N, if you want to come with," Kara offered. Y/N nodded, following Kara to her Earth, Kara supported Y/N's weight as she limped through the breach. Oliver was the only other person to go to Kara's Earth.

Felicity, Cisco, Harry, Caitlin, Julian, and Ray all remained for damage control.

Kara guided Y/N and Oliver through the hallways of the D.E.O. until they found where Barry was. "He's in the best hands, my sister Alex is in there and she is one of our best doctors. She is practically a prodigy," Kara explained.

Y/N stared weakly as the man she loves laid on a table, screaming in pain...

Suddenly, Alex burst through the doors and over to where Y/N, Kara, and Oliver stood.

"Are you Barry's wife?" she asked hurriedly. Y/N nodded in response.

"We need you, Barry's asking for you...we need you to help keep him steady. Please, we need your help," she said grabbing Y/N's hand and dragging her into the room.

Y/N sat by Barry's side, leaning over the bed and holding his face in her hands, "Don't die, okay? Because if you die, a part of me dies...the best part...so don't die," Y/N sobbed.

Barry could barely keep his eyes open, the pain was excruciating, but somehow, Y/N being there calmed him. He reached out aimlessly and grabbed her hand, "I'm cold," he said.

Y/N held him tighter, not ready to lose him again. "Is now a bad time to mention that I can't feel my legs?" Barry asked turning his head towards the group of doctors surrounding him.

They all stood in disbelief, until Alex stepped forward, "It's possible that the fall could have broken your back," she explained while continuing to assess Barry's injuries. "However, I think it's time we head down to an O.R.," she said getting ready to move Barry.

Barry stopped them, he turned back to Y/N, cupping her cheek in his palm. "Keep running," he started. "Don't worry about me...don't let me hold you back. You be the hero that you were meant to be...and I love you...more than anything. Never forget that I'll always love you," he finished before losing consciousness.

Y/N sat there, feeling more broken than ever as she watched Barry being taken away...
"I love you..."