Chapter 3

This Is How We Rise

"What?" Y/N asked in disbelief.

"Barry, he's not dead," Cisco repeated. "He created a time remnant, just like Thawne did. We think he might have done it to create more energy to balance the speed force faster, the body we found...that wasn't Barry, not your Barry," Cisco explained. "I know it sounds crazy, but just come with me down to the lab and we'll show you."

Y/N sighed before following Cisco to S.T.A.R. Labs. "Look Cisco, even if our Barry was in the speed force, he could still be dead," Y/N said stopping at the entrance of the Cortex.

Cisco stopped as well and turned to face Y/N, "Look Barry is alive. The body we found, it's not his, you know how I know?" he asked. "Because it was taken away by time, just like Thawne was."

"Cisco, I have accepted what happened, okay? I don't want false hope about this...can't you just understand that."

"Barry is alive," Cisco repeated.

"And how would you possibly know that?" Y/N questioned Cisco.

"Because he's in the med bay...and he's asking for you."

Y/N stood still in disbelief before she ran to the med bay, freezing in the doorway. Barry was sitting on the bed, flashing her one of his famous smiles. She ran straight into his arms, Barry held her tight, knowing how much he'd scared her.

"You were dead, you were dead," she sobbed into his chest, grasping onto him tight, afraid she might lose him again if she let go.

"I'm right here, and I'm not going anywhere," he cooed as he tucked his head into the crook of her neck.

Y/N pulled back and held his face in her hands, tears cascading down her cheeks, "I thought I'd lost you," she cried.

Barry leaned his head against hers, "I'm right here, I made you a promise. A promise that I'd come back to you," he said flashing her his signature smile.

"Always," Y/N added, tears still falling.

"Hey, don't cry," he said rubbing them away with his thumbs. Barry smiled before tilting his head to the left and leaning in, capturing Y/N in a kiss. Both of them just stayed like that. Barry's lips connecting with her own softly, his hands firmly gripping her waist. Y/N melted into his touch.

"What happened?" Y/N asked.

"Come here," Barry said scooting over so that Y/N could sit in his lap, "It's kind of a long story."

"I've got time," Y/N said leaning against his chest, holding his hand.

"We were running, but I noticed that we weren't creating enough energy to balance the speed force, not as fast as we needed to anyway. So then I remembered how Thawne created a time remnant earlier to help him and I thought, why can't I do the same," Barry shrugged. "So I created one and we balanced the speed force, then everything went black and the next thing I know I'm in S.T.A.R. Labs and everyone is telling me that I was dead," Barry explained. "Thawne must have killed my time remnant thinking that it was me before we balanced the speed force."

Y/N relaxed, "None of that really matters now though, you're back and Thawne is gone, that's what matters," she said snuggling into him a little more.

Barry sighed and leaned his chin against her shoulder, "I'm sorry," he mumbled.

"What do you possibly have to be sorry for Barry?" Y/N asked.

"I left you, Cisco told me what happened, you shouldn't have had to go through that. And I'll do my best to make that it doesn't happen again," Barry said snaking his arms around her.

Y/N turned in his arms and laid against his chest, tears still falling, "I was so scared."

Barry wiped away her tears with his hand, but it was of no use. "Tell you what," Barry said getting her attention. "How about whenever you're scared you just hold my hand," Barry said looking down into her trembling eyes.

Y/N nodded slowly before intertwining her fingers with Barry's. Barry was slightly confused, "What are you scared of right now?" he asked.

Y/N looked up and met his eyes with a gaze, "I'm scared that if I let your hand go I'm going to lose you again..."

It was at this moment that Barry forgot how to breathe, what Y/N just said broke his heart, he had broken her. Barry finally realized what had truly happened, Y/N didn't know he was alive until she first saw him some five minutes ago, up until that point she thought he was dead. Barry now truly understood what she had gone through.

Cisco had said that he was in the speed force about few days longer than Y/N, a few days in which Y/N lost the love of her life, her everything, her Barry.

"Hey," Barry said reaching for her chin and bringing her eyes back to his own, "I'm not going anywhere anytime soon, I'm right here...you don't have to be scared..."