Chapter 2

Cisco brought Barry back into the Cortex, Julian was waiting and ready to help, Harry as well. Joe's heart broke when he saw that Barry wasn't moving, his skin pale, he looked lifeless.

Julian rushed him to the med bay, in the room next to Y/N, "I don't have a pulse," Julian said as he examined Barry. Julian looked up at a very worried Cisco, he shook his head. "I don't think we can-"

"No," Joe said as he stood in the doorway, he ran to Barry side. Joe looked down at his son, the little boy he had raised, the one he comforted when his mother was murdered, the one who'd he do anything for...was gone.

"Joe, I'm so sorry...Barry's gone."

"Barry," he whispered, a few tears falling down his cheeks as he held Barry's hand. "Y/N, how is Y/N?" Joe asked, he wanted to be the one to tell her, he knew that she would be heartbroken, he had to be the one to tell her.

"Y/N's stable, she'll be awake soon," Julian said as he stood by Joe, Cisco as well.

"You can go see her if you want," Cisco said leading Joe towards the door and to Y/N's room. Joe sat by her side, not knowing what to do at this point, he didn't know how he was going to tell her, he just knew that he had to. Barry was her person, and she was his. Joe's heart shattered as he came to the realization that he was about to devastate Y/N and ruin her entire world.

Hours later Y/N woke with a pounding headache, she turned and saw Joe by her side, he looked exhausted and sad. Caitlin was quick to check her over.

"Cait, Cait I'm fine," Y/N said as she shined a bright light in her eyes. "I just have a headache, how's Barry?" Y/N asked.

"Umm..." Caitlin stuttered. "I'm going to let Joe take that," Caitlin said leaving the room, she'd looked as though she was crying.

Y/N turned and looked at Joe, he never took his eyes off the ground, "Joe," Y/N said catching his attention, "Where is Barry?" she asked.

Joe held Y/N's hand before speaking, "Cisco brought him back, but...he was too far gone by the time we got him back here," Joe explained.

Y/N lost her breath, she'd lost her everything, her Barry. "W-Where is he?" Y/N choked out through the tears.

"He's in the other room, do you want me to take you to him?" Joe asked.

Y/N nodded as she got out of bed and brought herself to her feet, she couldn't even think about anything, her only thought was Barry. Joe noticed that Y/N wasn't following him, she stood frozen, her eyes practically glued to the floor, Joe approached her and hugged her tightly as she sobbed into his chest.

Cisco stood in the doorway, he watched as his best friend broke down right before his eyes, Y/N had just lost her everything, the one person that she cared about most.

"Y/N?" Cisco asked from the doorway, "I can take it from here Joe," Cisco said putting his arm around Y/N and leading her towards the other room. Y/N and Cisco walked in together and sat by Barry's side, she held his hand. However, his hand was cold and limp, his warm forgiving touch was no longer there, he was gone.

"He always had to be first," Y/N sobbed. "I'm all alone this time."

"You're not alone," Cisco said putting his arm around her and hugging her.

"Tell that to my family," Y/N countered.

Cisco didn't know what she wanted or needed to hear. Quitely, unsure of his words, he said, "We're you're family too Y/N."

"Where's my mother? My father? My husband, Cisco?!" Y/N shouted as she dropped her head in her hands, sobbing, "They're gone! They're gone..."