Chapter 31

A few hours later...

An alert sounded throughout the Cortex, catching everyone's attention. Barry rushed over to Cisco's computers, Cisco was currently on a date. Caitlin was helping Julian at the station with Joe. Harry came rushing into the Cortex.

"What's happening, Barry?" Y/N asked as she pulled on her mask, ready for a fight.

"Mark Martin is attacking that new park unveiling downtown," he replied.

"There are at least a dozen cops there, not to mention Captain Singh and The Mayor," Harry added.

"Don't forget City Leadership," Barry warned.

Y/N sighed, "I get it, a lot of important people for me to protect," she said speeding out of the Cortex, sending a dozen different papers flying.

"Wow," Barry said seeing all the papers on the ground. "That must get annoying."

----------------

Y/N arrived at the park and saw civilians fleeing, she ran past them towards the center of the park and Martin with Captain Singh in his grasp, a firm hand around his throat.

"I was hoping for the scarlet speedster, but you'll do," he snickered as his grip on Singh tightened.

Y/N put her hands up, "Just let the Captain go, I'm the one you want," Y/N said continuing to step forward slowly. 

Martin chuckled, "See, but if your anything like your red counterpart. You care more about the safety of the people in this city than you do yourself."

Y/N nodded, "You're right, I do care about the people of this city, now let the man go," she repeated.

"We all saw you rise out of that rubble, something tells me that was pretty difficult for you...let's see if you can do that again," Martin tested as he caused lightning to strike just in front of Y/N, however, she was quick to dodge it.

Y/N was done wasting time, she sped in and snatched Singh out of Martin's grasp. "You need to get out of here, and keep your officers clear," Y/N said ushering him away.

"No," Singh said pushing back. "I know this guy, he's dangerous..."

"So am I," Y/N said pushing him away again.

Y/N went to charge Martin again only to be blown back, quite literally by a large gust of wind. As she was making her way to her feet another lightning bolt struck her right in the chest.

She groaned as she slowly got up, facing Martin who now had a smug smirk on his face. 

"Y/N you gotta fight back, don't let him get to you," Harry instructed over the comms.

"I'm a little busy," she replied, finally being able to knock Martin to his feet at least once. "I could use Cisco's help, or any help for that matter," Y/N added as she dodged another one of Martin's attacks.

"Ramon isn't answering his cell," Harry replied. "She needs you," he added, turning to Barry.

Barry sighed, "You know that I can't," he replied harshly.

"No," Harry said shaking his head, "I know that you can...and I know that you will. Especially for someone you love."

"I'll try, but you should really get a hold of Cisco," Barry said heading towards Cisco's lab rather than the exit.

"Allen, that's the wrong way," Harry called after him.

"No...it's not," Barry replied, jogging down the hallway.

Meanwhile, Y/N continued to fight Martin in the park, getting a few good hits in, but only to be matched by his own. Martin was skilled with his powers, he knew exactly how to use them, and how to inflict the most pain and damage.

Harry could not only hear what was happening but also see it. He was able to pull up live satellite footage of what was happening at the park.

"Lightning seems to be his weapon of choice," Harry told Y/N.

"You think?" Y/N panted as she got up, only to be shot down again by one of Martin's lightning bolts.

"Y/N, you need to fight fire with fire, hit him back with some lightning," he instructed.

"I can't," Y/N panted.

Harry sighed, remembering the injury she sustained in the building collapse. "Allen, today would be preferred," Harry yelled at Barry.

"I can't," Barry replied, shaking his head. "I can't do this..."

"Barry, if you don't do this Y/N is going to die...she's outmatched out there. She needs you, Barry," Harry said trying to calm his tone. 

"You can do this, I believe in you," Harry added.

"I can't," Barry denied.

"Listen to me Barry," Harry began. "Breathe, breathe, feel the air; feel that wind on your face. Feel the ground, your feet lifting you up and pushing you forward and the lightning...Barry, feel the lightning. Feel its power, feel its electricity, feel it pumping through your veins, crackling through you traveling to every nerve in your body like a shock. You are no longer you, no, you are part of something greater now, part of a speed force."

The next thing Harry knew he heard a loud boom emerge from the building, he smirked. He knew that his little speech had worked and that Barry had just broken the sound barrier.

Barry arrived at the park in his newly fitted suit, thanks to Cisco. He turned and saw Y/N on the ground, she had just been hit by yet another bolt of lightning, courtesy of Mark Martin. 

"Just the speedster I was looking for," Martin said tossing Y/N back into a tree with a gust of wind. He kept the wind pushing at her, holding her up.

Barry cautiously made his way forward, "You can stop this Martin, you can still end this."

He chuckled, "This city's finest shot my brother...I know they'll do the same to me."

"No," Barry said shaking his head. "They won't."

"You're right, they'll take me into custody and put me back in that hell hole you call Iron Heights," Martin added, the force of the wind against Y/N was increasing, her vision beginning to dot with black spots. Barry could see that he was focusing the grip around her neck, cutting off her air supply.

Barry was done negotiating, he surged forward and knocked Martin back into a park bench, however, his hold on Y/N remained.

Martin got back up quickly only to be knocked down by Barry again, this time Barry was fast to put metahuman power dampening cuffs on his wrists.

"You can't send me back to Iron Heights," Martin shouted.

"Yeah, yeah, no prison can hold me, heard it all before pal," Barry said knocking him out cold with one final punch.

Barry then turned around and sped to the tree where he last saw Y/N, she sat on the ground coughing for air.

"Are you okay?" Barry asked, rubbing her back in an attempt to soothe her breathing.

"Yeah," she replied in a raspy voice between coughs. 

"Come on," Barry said helping her stand up, "Let's get out of here."

Y/N stilled is movements by putting her hand on his chest, inspecting the new suit that he wore, "Nice outfit change," she joked.