Chapter 42

Y/N continued to patrol the streets while Barry worked on leads in the lab, but nothing had arisen since they found out that the string of murders was an elaborate calling card for The Flashes.

Y/N sped into the Cortex, feeling exhausted after finding nothing on the streets. She slumped down in a chair next to Cisco, letting out a frustrated sigh.

"Are you okay?" Cisco asked, turning to look at his friend.

Y/N shook her head, putting her face in her hands, "I'm tired, exhausted, and I can't find anything on this case to help Barry," she explained while running a tired hand over her face.

Cisco turned when an alert on his computer sounded, "What's that?" Y/N asked, looking up and taking her face out of her hands.

Cisco shook his head, "Just an ambulance call," he shrugged. "Nothing for The Flash to worry about," he told Y/N.

Y/N nodded, "Are you the only person here?" she asked; Y/N looked around and saw that the rest of the Cortex was empty. All of S.T.A.R. Labs was particularly quiet today.

"Yeah," Cisco replied. "I think Harry might be down in his lab, he's still trying to track Devoe, especially now that we think he might be behind all the recent murders."

Y/N nodded, still feeling a little bored. Nothing interesting was happening, there was no news on the case, no leads to follow, no major crimes to stop, Devoe was M.I.A. Y/N sat there, unsure of what to do next.

That is until another alert sounded on one of Cisco's systems. She grew curious, usually calls never came in back to back like this.

"What's that?" Y/N asked Cisco as he sat up to check it.

He swiftly began typing away, "Just another ambulance call," he shrugged off.

Y/N nodded, not seeing any importance in the matter. She decided to head home rather than waste time around the lab with no task to do.

Days later, Y/N went into S.T.A.R. Labs early to get a head start. She walked in and saw an overload of alerts on the computers screens at the front of the Cortex.

She walked over to the computers and began typing quickly, she saw that each alert was an ambulance call. 15...15 victims all suffering from some sort of severe sickness.

Y/N grew worried and sped to Barry's lab at the station. He was busily working over a stack of papers, a pair of gloves on his hands as he analyzed something.

"Hey," Barry greeted quickly as he looked up before returning to his work.

"Hey, Barry. Have you seen all the ambulance calls?" She asked him.

Barry nodded, "That's what I'm working on," he replied. "Singh has this as the top priority, even over the murder case. Each victim came down with some sort of severe illness. No antibiotics are working to fight it, and it seems to be genetically engineered to attack a person's weaknesses," he explained.

Y/N was shocked, to say the least. "Well that all sounds horrible, who could do something like this?" she asked.

Barry shrugged, "My best guess, probably a metahuman of some sort. Cisco has a theory that Devoe is behind this, I mean Devoe has used metahumans in the past, and maybe we were getting too close to solving the murder case and this is his escape plan."

"That's an interesting theory," Y/N mentioned. "It seems like a possible one too," she added.

Barry nodded, "Maybe we should hit the streets, try and track this metahuman before they hurt anyone else."

Y/N agreed, nodding slowly as she looked over the victim's personal files, "Barry, I know these people," Y/N spoke up. She showed a few of the photos to Barry, "Barry, we saved all of these people..."

Barry's expression dropped as he recognized the faces. He saved them once, and now they were paying the price for his mistake, for something they didn't do. "We have to hit the streets and find this guy before he hurts anyone else," Barry told her.

Y/N sped into her suit and patrolled the streets for hours on end, Barry doing the same across town. The sun had set over the city, the streets becoming dark, a cool breeze falling over the streets.

Barry stopped near an empty alleyway, taking a break to catch his breath for just a moment. He was about to ask Y/N where she was to meet her when a screeching sound came over his comms, someone was interfering with the frequency.

Barry quickly shut off his comms to stop the noise, before he could turn around to look where the interference came from a strong hand gripped his shoulder. An immediate feeling of immense unwellness fell over Barry, he stumbled on his feet, his vision blurring as he began to run a fever almost instantly.

"Get well soon, Flash," A menacing voice spoke before walking away, leaving Barry alone in the alleyway, leaning against a wall for support as he struggled to stand on his own.

Y/N had halted her running for just a moment, but when she called for Barry over the comms he didn't answer. "Cisco?" she asked. "Where's Barry?" Y/N wondered.

"Down by East and Fifth," Cisco replied over the comms, "He shut down his comms, I'd check it out," he advised.

Y/N ran to that location and straight to Barry's side once she saw him slumped against the wall of an alley. "Barry, are you good?" she asked worriedly.

Barry shook his head slowly, looking sick to his stomach as he leaned against Y/N for support as he began coughing profusely. Y/N cupped Barry's face in her hands as he looked down, his face was pale and his skin was burning hot. "Barry?" Y/N asked softly. "Are you okay?"

Barry looked up weakly, his eyes just barely open as Y/N took his mask off. "Better than ever," he replied sarcastically.

"Cisco, I think Barry might have just met our not so friendly metahuman," she said over the comms as she tried to help him.

"I see that," Caitlin replied, she had been monitoring Barry's vitals beside Cisco and just noticed a significant spike in them. "You need to get him back here, and fast," she told Y/N.

"On it," Y/N said helping Barry stand up. Y/N managed to get Barry back to the Cortex and into the med bay before his condition got worse. Barry laid down on the bed in the med bay and began coughing again, this time far worse than before.

Y/N tried to soothe him, at least until Caitlin slipped him a sedative to help him relax. Y/N continued to sit on the bed beside Barry, her fingers running softly through his hair as he slept soundly.

"What's happening?" Y/N asked, shifting slightly to look at Caitlin.

Caitlin sighed, unsure of what to say. "As far as I can tell he's the same as the others that were affected by this metahuman. But each case coming in is similar in some ways, but for the most part, it is as though the virus is being modified to attack a person's weaknesses in their immune system," she explained.

Y/N sighed, realizing how serious this could become. "Is it going to get worse?" she asked.

Caitlin shrugged, "I'm not sure, but it looks like it might."

"Can you find a cure?"

"I doubt it, everything I try Barry just ends up rejecting," Caitlin told Y/N. "The metahuman who caused this could probably reverse the effects."

Y/N nodded, "I'm going to hit the streets, see if anything else turns up tonight," she said standing up.

"Y/N," Caitlin interrupted. "This is going to get worse, it already is. Whatever Barry has, whatever this metahuman did to him, it could very well kill him and all the other victims," she warned. "His vitals are slowly depleting, we're running out of time..."