001

Chapter 1

Sammy Walcott

The whistling of the teakettle woke me. The fucking whistling teakettle, as always. My body automatic rolled to the edge of bed, my legs swinging over and resting on the cold wooden floor. A turn of my neck brought forth a snapping sound that literally brought more aches to my already aching body.

Standing up to my feet and producing another snapping sound, I walked to the standing mirror occupying about 15 percent space in my already tiny room.

Why do I even have this thing here?

Oh right, to check myself out. I can't have myself running out into the streets looking like a zombie — like now.

I sighed when my mirth filled eyes landed on my reflection. My blond hair was a tangled mess, my pale skin looked paler — freckles standing out more and after my damn boxers, my legs looked like twigs. How I manage to survive with a body like this still baffles me. I know I'm not ugly not even in the least bit. In fact I'm pretty hot for a guy my age — is what I tell myself most mornings to help me get through the day.

My - maybe - faux confidence is all I have.

Even then, I can only be so egoistic on a terrible Monday morning. The fading red bruise beside my right eye wasn't really boosting my confidence on my looks.

Dragging my feet, I walked into the bathroom and did my business. Pulled on black pants, a red hoodie, sneakers to go and of course my cap before running down.

"Sammy. Good morning," My mother greeted pouring coffee into a mug and pushing it to me. "Its about time you came down."

I hummed out something even I didn't understand simultaneously blowing air into the mug and taking a gulp. The hot liquid went down my throat, leaving a satisfying hiss at its wake.

"How do you do that?" Mum asked, referring to how I gulp down smoking hot coffee before shaking her head at me and turning back to the stove without waiting for an answer. "Eggs?"

I took another gulp of the coffee before letting my eyes fall to her dyed ash blond hair that she had up in a messy bun. I missed her pure blond hair and I get why she dyed it but seriously, who picks ash when there's blond? A psycho most definitely.

"Samuel? Eggs?" Mum called again, turning towards me, her tired eyes on me and one hand on her waist.

I didn't let my mind ponder too much on the bags underneath her eyes or the wrinkles on her forehead. I blinked away, pulling a stool and sitting down on it. Choosing to ignore the fact that she called me Samuel, I replied. "No, thanks."

"No thanks? Then what would you eat?" She asked raising her brows up at me with that unnecessary mother bear worry.

My eyes swept around the kitchen table and spotted the bowl of fruits. They weren't the freshest and I didn't care as I picked one. "An apple."

"Sam- Sammy you'll get so skinny and fall one day," She complained rubbing her fingers on her temple.

I got off the stool, took two steps and placed a kiss on her forehead. "But I won't die."

She sighed giving me a worried look that I was used to. I finished up my coffee, grabbed my bag and waved. "Bye mum."

The weather was damp and sad, giving a hint of how today was going to be. Although it hadn't rained, everywhere was wet and there were clouds covering the sun. I took a bite out of the apple and as suspected, it was bad and too soft for a fruit. Not to add problems to an already problem filled body, I threw the fruit away and walked on — breakfast wasn't worth the stress.

"Yo Walcott!"

I turned just in time to see a bright red Volkswagen riding into the packing lot in an illegal speed. I jumped out of the way to avoid being sprayed with mud water. I guess that's why they called— those assholes should be the ones to slow down instead of warning me to move. If they weren't in the car and if the weather wasn't already sad and stressing enough, I would have given them a piece of my mind.

"Thanks man." The guy that had his head poking out of the window yelled raising his thumbs to me. He was also the one who called me. I share classes with him and I think he's even on the lacrosse team but I can't bother with remembering his name right now.

I guess warning is better than nothing and they probably splashed other people. And they won't try splashing me anyway, unless they want their car to be redesigned with our famous lacrosse stick. I'm quite handy with that and I've got a reputation around here.

I might not be the richest or the smartest. I might not be the most good looking or friendly guy. But I'm feared and although its not the best thing ever, it'll have to do for now, at least in here, I should have an upper hand.

"Hi Sammy."

Nod.

"We're having a reading session after school, care to join?"

"No, thanks." My clipped tone told them not to bother me anymore and they turned to mind their businesses once more.

"He probably got that bruise from fighting his Mafia leader, god that's hot."

Or not.

"Don't look at him Anna, guys like that are dangerous."

Yes, very right. Anna better be wise.

I stopped by my locker putting in the boring code. It's the same old thing every fucking day. Can't someone bring a dancing penguin to school one day and just let it lose in the hallway? Or a clown to scare some girls and create some kind of excitement? I'm stuck in the same boring, tiring routine everyday.

"Crystal, did you hear?"

Oh great— from the corner of my eyes I looked at my locker neighbor and her gossip magnet friend. I bet they would be scared of clowns.

"Heard what, hope it's not about Mr hotstick? I got in trouble last time you heard something about him." My locker neighbor, Crystal with the acnes, replied.

I smirked thinking that from the looks of things she didn't get into not enough trouble because although she just said that, her ears were perked up ready to hear whatever miss gossip had to dish out. As were mine.

"No, I'm over that teacher." Gossip friend waved her hand and I got a pleasantly unpleasant whiff of her perfume. "Its about a student. Someone we all know that left years ago."

Interesting. Girls gossip are sometimes interesting, sue me. But I have a class, I reckoned with my senses as I pulled out my last book I'd be needing for the day.

"Who?"

And I shut my locker.

"Elijah Garcia."

And this books came tumbling down.

"Sammy? Sammy are you okay?" Crystal asked rushing to my side with her friend.

I blinked away the sudden numbness and shook my head but the shock was still there. My heart hadn't regained it normal beat routine after it spiked up just know, without any warning. You know how a whole system is destroyed when just one step, beat or key is missed? Yeah, my heart skipped a beat and that put my whole system in shock.

"Maybe you slap him? Or kiss?" I vaguely hear gossip girl suggest and maybe it's the great urge to roll my eyes but I slowly start recovering.

"Sammy?" My hand reached out grabbing the wrist of the girl that that had her palm pressed against my cheek and was about to pull my cap off. "Sammy?"

I released her when I noticed I was holding her too tightly and averted my gaze from her, mumbling out an apology.

Her friend gulped, and pulled back, taking Crystal with her. They handed over my fallen books and I collected them with a nod of thanks, walking away from their curious stares.

Elijah Gracia.

I haven't heard that name in six years.

------

Vote and comment. Thanks for giving this book a chance.