Chapter 21 - It Can't Be (Edited)

Rose POV :
I was still sitting looking out from the unfinished window. Probably two hours had flown by and I was still in the same position. Mracus and Diana came checking up on me a few times. They leave shortly after when I abruptly end the conversation. I was in no mood to talk. I was progressing what had happened in the last few hours, no scratch that, in the past week. Everything was clear now but new questions were starting to haunt my mind.

Diana offered me food from god knows where, but I refused to eat anything. I simply stared at the forest, the midnight sky and the moon for the whole night. I was hoping for anything that showed me this was not real, that I was dreaming, but there was none. Was this how I was going to live from now on? Was my life always full of sorrow and fear?

I heard footsteps coming from behind me. I didn't bother to look since I really wanted to be left alone. It was probably Marcus or Diana checking up on me again. The footsteps stopped and I could feel presence behind me. I could also hear the heavy breathing that was emitting from above me. I waited for a movement or a word, anything to break the fear that's growing in me.

However,  I was greeted with the same results. Just when I thought nothing else would happen, the person talked and I wasn't expecting it.

"Marcus and Diana told me what happened when I was gone. You should really eat. You haven't eaten in a while. "

I widened my eyes. He was the last person I wanted to be alone with.  Yet here he was. I looked behind me and I was faced with legs I tilted my head upwards to finally see him towering over me while holding a plate in his hand. He went besides me and sat next to me while putting the plate in the floor between us.

"I am not hungry."I said and stared back through the window.

He chuckled before saying"I can hear your stomach growling. " It was true I was feeling hungry? but being in such situations breaks my appetite.

"I won't eat okay! Just leave me alone."

"Not until you eat something. "

"Why do you even care if I eat anything? "I snapped my head towards Jason and saw a shock look from my sudden outburst. True I have been here for hours thinking, but I've been holding too much in for too long. He was the one who pulled the trigger, he was always the one who pulled the trigger.

"Why do you even care if I live? Isn't that what you wanted from the first place. Since the day I came here you were constantly bullying me. Why the sudden change? "

"I already told you I don't care I just... "He looked angry but I wasn't afraid. He was the one who was going to listen.

"You just what? Hate rogues? Well if you hate them being here and they are out for me, why don't you give me to them? They will leave if they get what they want.  That way you would get rid of them and me. Two birds one stone right?"

He didn't answer.

"Huh? Why? I am just a fragile human. I am not special I don't even know why they want to kill me this bad when I done nothing to them. I didn't even know they existed. So tell me Jason.  Tell me why? Why are you protecting me? "

He looked at me angry. He had his fists clenched and his eyes were piercing mine. The moonlight was showing off half of his face which made him even look more scarier. I didn't want to be scared anymore when I knew my life was on the line.

"Why Jason? Tell me... "I yelled. "Why are you so protective of me when I mean nothing to you– "

"Because you're my mate! " he shouted.

Stunned, I looked at him stunned. Did he just say I was his mate? Was it the same word that Marcus used to  explain soulmates to me or did it also mean 'the toy I enjoy beating'?

"Your what? "I whispered. I asked because maybe I heard him wrong. Maybe it was my hallucinations.

"You're my mate Rose. My other half. The human mate that no one had or heard before. The one destined for me "he shouted at me while quickly standing up. I also stood up slowly trying to hold my tears.

So all this time I was his mate. He wasn't protecting me because he cared about me. No...  It was because if I went down he would go down with me whether he chose to or not. He was just using me and I should know better than to belive that he cared about me.

"I can't believe this...  I was your mate and you were just using me so you wouldn't die. "Tears prickled my eyes. He looked at me speechless. When Marcus explained this mate thing to me,  I thought it was the most amazing thing, to have someone you trust and love and would never betray you. Now it all seemed like a joke to only fools believe in.

"So are they trying to kill me just because I am human and your mate? "

"No, I thought so too at first but no.  They tried to kill you before I even met you."he said with an emotionless tone.

When he mentioned it, a flashback of the brown wolf when I was ten blinded my vision. He wasn't a wolf at all. Shivers ran down my spine when the realization hit me. If he wasn't a wolf then it was possible that the brown wolf which Jason attacked was the same one who attacked me.

Jason saw my now feared face and said "Rose...What's wrong? "

I looked at him. Should I tell him? Wouldn't he think I wad crazy when I tell him that I was saved by a light ball and my savior vanished leaving sparkles as a trace? But again maybe the information was usefull.

I took a deep breath and told him what happened to me when I was ten. He looked shocked but relieved when I told him that the wolf didn't have time to touch me. His expression turned confused and looked like he was deep in thoughts before he grabbed my hand and pulled me downstairs. I found all of them seated on the floor in the room next to the front door. Jason explained everything I told him and they all looked at each other when he finished.

"So you didn't see who saved you? "Ed asked.

"No."I simply said. I blushed a bit when I realized Jason's hand was still holding mine. I slowly removed my hand and he looked at me from the corner of his eyes and I knew he didn't like it by the way he scowled, so I nervously turned away from him and stared at anything but him.

"The weird thing is why didn't the wolf show up again when he failed doing his mission? "Brad asked while looking at everyone to see if they had a logical explanation, but no one had. It was true though, I haven't seen him until few days ago. If he didn't kill me then, shouldn't he tried again sooner.

"Maybe it has something to do with the light thingy. "I told them. They all looked at me thinking about it. I, on the other hand, never thought I would say such words in my life. 

"Whatever. He is not our concern anymore. For now we need to rest. "Jason said. I looked around. Where would we sleep. We were all still wearing the clothes we had on for the dance.

I saw Diana lay her head on Marcus' chest while he layed his back down on the floor resting his head on his arm while the other arm circled around Diana before he used it to cover her with his jacket. Brad and Ed layed on their backs mirroring Marcus' position covered up with their jacket. I walked to the nearest wall took off my heals and layed on my left side facing the wall. I would've used my hand bag as a pillow but god knows where I lost that thing.

"I wish I had my bag,"I whispered to myself and placed my hand under my head and the other over my waist to at least try avoiding the cold night breeze. When I was about to completely fall asleep, I felt soft fabric touching my exposed arms and I also felt warmth cascading down from my shoulders to my waist. I smiled when it brought heat to my whole body and a feeling of safety.

I opened my eyes just a bit and threw my head over my shoulder to see Jason's back moving away from me. He was only wearing his white shirt. He went to the wall across from mine and sat down, his back was rested on the wall and his head was pulled backwards. He took a deep breath and let it out soon after.  He lowered his head and looked at me. I didn't know if he could see me through the darkness, but his gaze suddenly turned from ice cold to warm and caring. I felt me eyes getting heavier by the second, so I turned back to the wall and closed my eyes going straight to dream land, but before I did that I heard him whisper...

"I will always protect you...."