I Am Not Your Queen (4/4)

Tears threatened my eyes as I pull away from his hug. His large, delicate hands wipe away tears and I ask:

"H-how are you alive? I saw him throw you off the cliff."

"I survived the fall and floated down the river. The bear tribe found my body and preserved it until Nakia, Shuri and Queen Mother came." He states.

His eyes trail down to what I was wearing.

"Oh Amina, what did he do to you?" He asks.

"N-nothing. He didn't force me to do anything, he isn't as bad as you think." I say.

"He's already brainwashed her." Okoye states.

"I'm not brainwashed, Okoye. I'm happy, I'm actually happy with Erik as king. He asked me to be his queen and I make sure Wakandan tradition is fulfilled." I reassure.

"Amina?" My sister asks.

I cross my arms and balance my weight on one hip.

"That's my name, don't wear it out." I say with a cold tone.

"Amina.." T'Challa starts.

"No, T'Challa. She left me all alone. She couldn't take the pain of your death so she cut all ties to Wakanda and went to the states. She abandoned her family and her country! You should ashamed of yourself." I snap.

She bowed her head in shame and T'Challa regained my attention.

"I know she made a mistake and it hurt you. But she's human, Amina. Everyone makes mistakes." He defends.

"You're defending her?" I ask.

He tried to reach out to me but I step away.

"You left-one-by-one you all left me alone, to take care of my people on my own. You're cowards, all of you." I say with my voice cracking.

"Why are you even here?" I ask.

"We came to take you back to the states. I under-" my sister states.

"I was asking them, not you." I interrupt.

T'Challa opened his mouth to speak until I hear Erik says:

"Baby?"

I turn around to meet Erik's face laced with hurt.

He thinks I betrayed him.

"Erik.." I say.

"W-.. what is this? He's alive and you know he was alive?" He asks.

"No, baby. I swear I didn't-"

"How long have you known he was alive? All of you were gone, you left. What are you doing here?" He snaps.

"We're here to take Amina back, and we were expecting a fight." Okoye states as she twirls her spear between her fingers

"You wanted a fight, huh? I'll give you a fight." Erik challenges.

"Erik, no. Think through this okay? I did now betray you, I just found out that T'Challa was alive. I swear, I did not lie to you. You have to believe me." I say to him.

He gazes at me to detect any lies in my words. His loosened his fists and exhaled slowly.

"Okay." He submits.

"Why are you talking to him like he is innocent? He killed Zuri!" Shuri states.

"I'm well aware of what who he killed. But I learned to accept him for he is because he was only one I had left." I say.

"ek verstaan ​​nie, mamma en pappa wou saam met ons kom ... hoekom kan jy nie?" My sister states.
(I don't understand, Mama and Papa wanted to go with us. Why can't you?)

"Ek kan nie gaan nie, want ek hou nie van my probleme weg nie en ek hou my beloftes. Ek het 'n belofte aan hom gemaak dat ek langs sy kant sal staan, maak nie saak wat nie. so sal ek dit doen." I snap.
(Because unlike you, I don't run away from my problems and I keep my promises. I promised him that I would stand by his side, and that's what I am going to do)

I intertwine my hand with Erik's and say:

"Come on, let's get out of here."

I turn and start for the door until Okoye states:

"Jy het ook 'n belofte aan jou koning gemaak. Jou regte Koning. Watter belofte maak die meeste saak?"
(You also made a promise to your king. Your real king. Which promise matters the most?)

I stop in my tracks and slowly let go of Erik's hand. He furrows his eyebrows in confusion as I turn around and face the group. My heart bursts as I think of who matters more in my life: Erik or T'Challa. Which promise matters the most or who's bond is stronger?

"I'll get packed." I say softly.

Before anyone could say anything, I run into the room. I pull out the duffel bag and set it on the bed. I don't look up when I hear the door open and close, I already knew who it was.

"And we're back where we started." Erik states.

I stuff five pairs of pants and shoes into the bag without saying a word.

"They come back after three years- He comes back after three years only to take you away from me. He was alive the whole time you thought he was dead." He states.

"He lied to you, Amina! He left you here all alone, they all left up here to rot. And the minute they show up here speaking in African, you run back to them, really? Did the passed three years mean nothing to you?" He adds.

I continued packing, which made Erik grow even more furious.

"Answer me damn it!" He snaps.

"There's nothing for me to say." I finally say.

"Bullshit! You have plenty to say, you're just too selfish to say it." He says.

I throw my shirt into the bag and point an accusing finger at him.

"I am not selfish! I am everything by selfish! I learned to love you. I learned to accept you, despite all of your kills and mistakes. I became your Queen and helped you run Wakanda. I stood by you the entire time! I didn't have to, I could have said screw you and watched you suffer but I didn't. So don't you dare call me selfish!" I snap.

"You made me open up to you. You made me love you and when a blast from the past comes to our door, you go with them immediately? No questions asked?"

"I fought for you!" I say.

"You didn't fight hard enough!"

"I made him a promise, Erik." I admit.

"Yeah well, you made me a promise too."

"Do you love me more than him? You said that you loved me, but do you love me more than he does?" I ask.

"He loves you a quarter of how much I love you. Jesus Amina! He didn't even have sex with you! You said it yourself, 'no one can make you feel this good'. I made you happier in a week than he ever did in years."

"Life is more than just sex, Erik." I say as I resume my packing.

"I made you who you are. I made you the most badass bitch of all Wakanda. If it wasn't for me, you would still be the sad little virgin huddled up in Shuri's room. You are nothing without me." He states.

I zip up my duffel bag and say:

"You wanna bet?"

The only thing you can hear is the deep, angry breathes coming from Erik. We stare into each other's eyes neutral eyes and none of us break eye contact.