She's My Outsider (2/4)

And suddenly, M'Baku was Ryan and I was staring into his sparking light brown eyes. My mind tuned all of the noise away and I am staring down at a severely injured Ryan in my partially destroyed home. I could have saved him, but he didn't let me... He wanted to tell me how much he loved me and that he was sorry for not telling me who he really is.

"Lennie," I hear Ryan's voice say.

"Lennie, you can't freeze. I know you've been out of practice for while, but you can save this man. Just think... he has a disrupted airway, he's wheezing and he was complaining about chest pains. Which means what?" He adds.

"A collapsed lung,"

"Exactly.. and how do you momentarily solve a collapse lung?" He asks me.

"A crike?" I suggest.

"Less invasive."

"Chest tube." I say.

"Bingo,"

Ryan's face was no longer the face I am staring down at. M'Baku's eyes were closed and his lips turned a darker shade of blue.

"Miss Lenora, what are you going to do?" One of the little girls ask.

"I need a small knife, sanitizers, tape, a tube and a small pump now!" I call.

"What are sanitizers? And what is tape?" One of the Jabari men asks.

"Oh my God, just find something sticky!" I snap.

I look down at M'Baku, who was no longer breathing. I link my hands together and begin to compress his chest.

"One Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi, four Mississippi, five Mississippi," I say in sync with my compressions.

I pinch his nose and blow air into his lungs. I repeat this process three times before M'Baku regained a pulse. Thankfully, someone came back with the tools that I needed.

I hold the knife in my hand and I say:

"If any of you have a problem with blood, now is the time to go."

When no one left, I said:

"Okay then,"

I make an incision a couple inches below his left chest peck. I wipe as much blood as I could with the towels, earning yells and barks from that Jabari.

"What are you doing to him?!" A Jabari woman asks.

"I'm saving his life!" I say.

I insert the knife into the incision that I made and nicked the bottom of his lung. M'Baku gasps loudly as his body jolted forward in pain.

"I know, I know, I'm sorry. But this is for your own good." I say whilst inserting the tube inside the bottom of his lung.

I tape the middle of the tube to his chest and tape for bottom of the tube to the top of the small pump. I squeeze the pump at a steady, rhythmic pace for his breathing.

Once I feel like he is stable, using find one of the Jabari women and motion her over. She complies and I say:

"I need you to squeeze this pump at the same pace that I am squeezing it right now. Can you do that?"

She nods and I stand from M'Baku.

"I need the rest of you to use something steady and stable to carry him to Shuri's lab. What I did can hold him over but he needs to be there as soon as possible." I say.

"Go." I add.

"Miss Lenora, are you sure you don't want to accompany us?" One man asks.

I shake my head and stare down at my shirt stained in M'Baku's blood.

"No.. but please update me if anything happens." I say.

Soon after that, they made a bed attached to two thick pieces of lumber. I watch as they take him away before I walk back to my room.

"You were a hero today Miss Lenora," one of the little girls says.

"Yeah," the other girls agree.

They all hug my legs as they collectively say:

"Thank you,"

"Thank you for letting me know... You were as much as a hero as I was today." I say with a small smile.

The mothers took their children back and I close and lock my door. I sit on the edge of my bed and clamp my hand over my mouth to prevent any loud sobs escaping. Tears brim in my eyes as body shakes with anxiety.

I could have killed him or made matters worse. What was I thinking? I haven't had a patient in more than four years. I may have murdered the leader of the Jabari tribe. I could end up in Wakadan jail for this.

My breathing started to increase as I think of what could happen if M'Baku doesn't survive. Given, I could hijack a ship and leave here if things get rough. It's what I would have done five months ago... But things have changed since then, I've fallen in love with the country of Wakanda and with M'Baku.

"Oh my god, what have I done?" I say as I pull my knees towards my chest.