Chapter Fifty

Lisedi

Aubrey had fallen asleep before I did. It was only midnight. He was the night owl normally. Tonight it was me. A mini marathon of Vanderpump Rules had me slightly entertained. There was a lot on my mind. Aubrey's birthday was this weekend. His friends had the celebration already planned. I was thankful because a majority of my focus was on his gift. Of course, I had to have something special for him when we were alone too. After dropping off Gissy, I was able to visit Agent Provocateur on Bloor Street to get what I needed to ensure that my husband had a great birthday nightcap.

Ethan kept popping up in my head. I shouldn't be thinking about him, huh? That's why I don't care to bring up to Aubrey. He automatically gets an attitude when that name is mention. I understood why. Maybe it's just me, but I'm interested in knowing where he is and if he's alive for that matter. At the end of the day, he was a brother to all of the men in this house at one point in time. Despite his horrible decision, part of me wanted to think they somewhat cared.

Work. My family at the bail bond agency. Would I ever be able to go back? I had clients when I left. I wonder if they were still under my name. What did the judge think of me? My supervisor. Even though my name was cleared there was still an association. I missed the adrenaline rush of bounty hunting and helping others turn their lives around for the better. Hell, I missed my desk and the perfect window view I had that looked out to the busy Toronto streets.

I thought about Hush. Our last conversation, my drawing that everyone wanted me to paint, and his last words that were spoken to Aubrey. To watch over his baby's  mother and his son when he arrived. He'd be here in three months or less. I wondered if he would look like his father. I hope so. What a better way to carry on his spirit here on Earth? What would his name be? Questions. As much as I wanted to see the bigger picture of the situation, the Italia thing was still irritating. I don't know what bothered me the most; the fact that we've never met? The fact that she hasn't made an effort to meet? That she can call my husband up whenever and expect him to drop everything and come running? Or that she may not know we're married? Could I just be jealous that he's doing all of this for a woman who isn't me? My answer would be all of the above. I'm comfortable with being open with Aubrey, but this is something I'd just keep to myself. The last thing I wanted was to sound insensitive, petty and selfish.

So why not take it upon myself to make the first step. I decided to take Tati up on her suggestion of inviting Italia over for dinner tomorrow night. I didn't have her number though. Aubrey's phone was sitting on the nightstand. I reached over and grabbed it, being careful not to wake him. He wasn't a very heavy sleeper. I ignored the notifications on his lock screen and typed in his passcode. 0806. My birthday.

Contacts. Italia. 416-222-3271.

I made sure I typed it in correctly on my phone before exiting out of everything and putting it back in its rightful place. I'd call her in the morning when I got up from my run.

"You still not sleep?" Aubrey mumbled.

"It's hard," I curled up underneath him.

His arm draped over me and pulled me closer, "if you turn that shit off then maybe you could."

"I like having the tv on," I pouted, even though his eyes were still closed, "it drowns out outside noises. I've grown to hate those."

"Ain't nothing for you to be scared of baby," he kissed my forehead, "I'm right here."

Whether it was the wind blowing making the leaves rustle or other acts of nature, those sounds made me alert and anxious. I had Colombia to thank for that.

"And I have heat under this mattress," he mumbled, "go to sleep."

I dug around for remote. Finding it at our feet. I turned the tv off. He had been letting me keep it on throughout the night since we've been back, so having this room now be pitch black had me out of my comfort zone.