twenty-three

tonight we're fading fast. I just wanna make this last. if I could say the things I want to say, I'd find a way to make you stay. ❞ -5 Seconds of Summer (If you don't know) 

In my dreams – twenty-three

Harry is afraid to fall asleep. He doesn’t want Louis to leave him forever but he knows they have no choice. So he spends a couple of hours just listening to Louis breathing softly with their arms around each other and Amber curled up on the end of the bed.

He wonders how he’s going to pick up the pieces of his life tomorrow. Louis told him he should give Gemma a call and fix the bond with his parents but Harry doesn’t know if he can do that. He can get a coffee with Gemma somewhere soon but he can’t imagine his parents forgiving him because he didn’t become a lawyer or an accountant, like they wanted.

What job would Louis have gotten if he could have stayed here? he thinks. Being a teacher at a primary school suits him. Teaching children how to read and write but let them play at the same time. That would definitely be something for Louis. He can already imagine his fiancé teaching a tiny girl with brown curls how to write the letter A properly. And yes, maybe the little girl looks like Louis in his imagination but that’s a dream and will never be more than a dream.

But for once, he lets himself dream what it would be like to have a child with Louis. Would it be a boy or a girl? Green eyes or blue eyes? Freckles or not? Straight hair or curly hair? And like that, imagining their baby, he drifts off to sleep.

When he wakes up, he feels empty. There is no one next to him and he realizes Louis is gone. Forever. He stares at the ceiling with tears brimming his eyes for several minutes before making a grab for his phone on his nightstand. Except, his phone isn’t there. He grabs at air. Then he remembers he left his phone in the living room last night so, with all the reluctance in the world, he gets up.

Harry drags himself out of bed and rubs his eyes. The house isn’t as cold as it usually is when he wakes up alone in the morning. Strange, but he probably left the heating on last night because he didn’t want to waste a single minute of the time he and Louis had left together. He stumbles out of the bedroom and goes for a pee in the bathroom, avoiding looking in the mirror because he knows he looks like shit. He always does when he wakes up alone.

He walks into the living room and goes straight for his phone, which is beeping non-stop. The house still smells like yesterday’s pancakes, he thinks sadly when he picks up. “Harry speaking.”

“H, it’s Ash.”

“I noticed, yeah. But thanks for telling me. Why are you calling so early?”

“Early? Mate, it’s half twelve. Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that we’re taking you out for dinner tonight. That alright?”

Strange, Harry notes. Ashton and Luke never take him out for dinner. “Yeah, sure. Half five at yours?”

“Half five’s fine”, Ashton says. “See you then. Love you, bye.”

“Love you too, bye.”

Very strange phone call. He’ll tell Ashton and Luke Louis is gone tonight. Bit dumb telling them that over the phone. He throws down his phone on the sofa and a squeak sounds. His eyes widen. Is there a burglar on his couch? But then he recognizes Amber as the creature that squeaked and he furrows his brow. What is going on?

He picks her up in his arms and pets her. “Sorry I hit you with my phone, cutie”, he coos. “Who’s a good doggie? You are!” Amber barks happily and wags her tail in his face. “Okay, that’s enough love”, he says and he puts her down. She runs off to the kitchen immediately. Why is Amber still here? Did she stay while Louis is gone?