CHAPTER THREE

A Door into the Dark

~

"You set me up to kill that vampire!" Jace exclaimed as soon as we stepped out of the portal, I sighed loudly and leaned against an empty cadge, watching as Jace glared at Valentine.

"You killed her because it was the right thing to do." Valentine replied, the arrow still sticking out of his shoulder but he was just casually acting like it wasn't there. "The world's a safer place without that thing wreaking havoc."

He pulled the arrow out making me cringe slightly, what the actual fuck, is he okay? wait, I forgot, he's a fucking mental person. "Would you rather turn her over to the Clave to stand trial?"

"That is my job!" Jace yelled "The Law is hard, but it is-"

"The Law." Valentine cut in "Yet the Clave does nothing, nothing to enforce that." Valentine suddenly turned towards me, as remembering I was there "Can I speak to Jonathan alone."

I nodded shortly and glanced at Jace for a second before walking up the stairs, towards the top of the ship, hearing Valentine start speaking again. I opened the door and stepped onto the dock, closing it behind me.

It seemed like nothing had changed, the new Shadowhunters were still practicing their stances, I still can't believe Jocelyn tried to kill Jace, her own son. How could she do that, the look in her eyes was determination, determined to kill him.

"Gil!" I shouted as I ran towards Gilbert, he turned to look at me, messing with the blade in his hand.

"You're back." He muttered as he pulled me in for a hug, squeezing me tightly, I chuckled as we pulled away for each other.

Gilbert was like a brother to me, he was the Simon to my Clary. I had also learned that Gilbert was 19 years old, only a year older then me, he laughed when I told him I thought he was older. Took offense to it. But I love him, he's my best friend.

"Yeah, I didn't think I would be." I muttered as we pulled away from each other.

"Why do you say that?" Gilbert asked as we walked down to the deck below, I looked around quickly before dragging him into my bedroom, locking the door behind us.

"Valentine made Jace kill a vampire." I whispered while sitting down on my bed.

"Valentine did what?" Gilbert whispered with wide eyes, walking to sit next to me, holding hand out as I placed my hand in his, interlacing our fingers together. "You heard me." I muttered, biting my lip "What makes it worse is that Joycelyn-"