CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE

Day of Atonement

~

"Stop feeling so guilty." I nudged Clary as we walked towards the heart of the Institute. The redhead sighed softly as she continued to walk. "I'm sorry." She whispered "I just keep thinking about how selfish I was and how unfaithful I was to Gilbert."

"Just tell him." I suggested, nearly jogging to keep up with her pace "Tell him what happened."

"I can't." Clary shook her head as she suddenly turned to look at me. "What if he breaks up with me? What if I lose him, Ari." She whispered, her voice cracking while tears appeared in her eyes.

"Clary, the longer you keep this to yourself the more the guilt will eat you alive." I exclaimed "Gilbert deserves to know now because the longer you keep this away from him. when he finally hears the truth, it's gonna hurt him even more."

Clary stayed silent for a few moments, her green eyes welling up with tears as she let out a small whimper "I'll do it now." She whispered as she raised her hands to wipe tears tears away from her cheeks.

I watched as the redhead walked towards Gilbert, her hands shaking by her sides as she began to speak to him, at first Gilbert looked happy and then worry began to etch onto his face, that's all I saw before he and Clary walked away, most probably to speak in private.

Prior to this, Jace had told us about Valentine going missing, apparently Duncan (one of the other Shadowhunters) had something to do with it as he also didn't appear through the portal.

I sighed and walked over to the Lightwood siblings including Jace who were standing beside the monitor. "Any word from Magnus or Luke?" I said as soon as I leaned against the table.

"No." Alec shook his head "With Valentine free, the Downworld cabinet has been holding secluded meetings at the Seelie Court."

"That's not good." Jace exclaimed from beside me.

I scoffed "Nothing good ever happens at the Seelie Court."

"The Clave isn't gonna let this go unpunished." Alec continued "The inquisitor sent an envoy to assess the situation. Chances are, they'll be the ones replacing me as the head of the Institute."

I furrowed my brows, nobody can just take that spot away from Alec, he deserved it.

"Not if we could recapture Valentine." Isabelle spoke up "Sebastian and all available personnel are searching. We know Duncan managed to hijack the Portal."