CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Bound By Blood

~

"Both of you, stay here." Jace said as he turned to face Clary and I after the Van stopped "We'll be right back." I nodded my head as I watched Simon and Jace climb out of the van and slam the doors behind them.

Sires wailed in the distance, the vans lights illuminated the darkness as Clary held my unharmed hand. Every time I tried to move I would wince in pain, my body feeling too weak to move. I felt vulnerable. "Clary?" I whispered in a weak voice.

Clary hummed in acknowledgment, her other hand was running her fingers through my hair, calming me to the point of exhaustion. "How did your date with Gilbert go?" I asked, letting my tired eyes flutter half closed.

"Good." Clary's voice held a tinge of happiness as she smiled gently. "He took me for a walk around the park and then we got ice cream."

"Lucky." I weakly chuckled, my breathing coming out more ragged as I felt the burning go further up my arm, getting closer to my heart. "What kind of Ice cream?"

"Vanilla." Clary replied.

"So basic." I smirked as I snuggled closer to her, Clary noticed and helped me to rest my head on her lap, her fingers still running through my hair, brushing it away from my face.

I noticed Simon peer through the window of the car with a panicked expression before disappearing again. What's got his pants in a twist?
.
.
.
The view of water was beautiful to say the least. Clary sat next to me on top of the van as I leaned against her. "It's beautiful." I muttered, staring at the buildings lights that illuminated and shadowed in the water.

A loud banging sound came from behind us as Simon jumped onto the van and sat down behind me, sitting sideways. "Are you sure we're aloud up here?" He asked.

"If I'm going to die, it's not gonna be in this van." I replied weakly as I leaned backwards before Simon took me in his arms, letting me rest in them as Clary turned to face us, her hand still holding mine. "Not on a night like tonight." I peered up at the stars, I was almost jealous at how free they were, being able to shine without a care in the world.

"They're beautiful." Clary whispered, not wanting to ruin the perfect silence, I turned my head and nodded gently, giving her a small smile.

"Maybe we should go looking for Jace?" Simon started as I held my hand up and pressed it against his chest. "No." I shook my head softly "If he says he's gonna rescue Madzie we need to be here when he comes back."

"She's right." Clary nodded, her hand squeezing mine gently.

"Sure." Simon nodded even though I saw the distress in his eyes, he didn't like seeing me like this. "But at what point do we say he's been gone too long?"