CHAPTER THIRTY

Day of Atonement

~

"Haven't been to this cabin in years, but I'm pretty sure it's just past this hill." Jace explained while Izzy, Clary and I followed him as we walked down the hill, my eyes glaring at the lake that was now in front of us, well the shallow part anyway. "There it is." He sighed as the four of us looked up. The cabin looked completely abandoned. But we knew it wasn't.

"Someone was just here." Isabelle muttered, I felt her worry, heck I felt everyone's worry, even mine. "Your emotions are making me go crazy over here." I sighed loudly "Can I do my cool mojo thing and make everyone calm?"

"Go for it." Clary muttered, her arms crossing as the four of us made our way towards the Cabin, I immediately let the calming emotion out towards the three of them, watching as they relaxed but also stayed guarded.

"Thanks, Ari." Jace whispered, his two-toned eyes softening from their previous hard gaze. "You're welcome." I whispered with a small smile on my face as we entered the dark cabin and walked down the long staircase. My blade was now clutched tightly in my hand, not wanting to let go of my grip until we were out of here.

I looked around the room and slowly lowered my blade, my eyes furrowing as I walked around: Cobwebs, broken furniture, dust, glass and a chair with shackles attached to it. Wait what? Well if Valentine was here, he isn't anymore. "We're too late." Jace muttered, placing his own blade down by his side.

The four of us stood there for a few minutes, not knowing what the say. We've basically failed the mission we weren't even supposed to be on, but it still would have been nice to have captured Valentine. To hold him captive, and make him pay for everything he's done.
.
.
.
I walked towards the library, my hair was now pulled up into a messy low bun, bits of loose strands of hair falling here and there. I sighed softly as I leaned against the doorway, my eyes gazing at my golden haired angel as he looked at the books which covered the table. I softly knocked my knuckles against the open door, gaining his attention. "What's up?" He asked calmly, strands of his now messy hair falling into the middle of his forehead.

"Nothing really." I muttered while I walked further into the room, my heart sinking as I remembered the blooded leather jacket I saw. The worst part of today was thinking that Jace was dead, his screaming was still echoing in my mind and I didn't like it. "I'm just really glad that you're okay."

"What did you see, Ari?" He asked softly. I watched him carefully as he scooted the chair he was sitting in backwards and opened his arms out towards me. I sniffled slightly and walked towards him, letting him pull me into his lap while I placed my arms around his neck, his hands came up to rest upon my waist.

"I heard you and Clary screaming." I started, my eyes gazing over at the fire that was peacefully burning while the embers of the fire floated away slowly. "I ran towards the screams and that was when I saw your jacket, blood was covering it." I paused slightly, his eyes softening as he pulled me closer to him. "I thought you died, Jace." I whispered "I thought I had lost you."

"You'll never lose me." Jace whispered as he gently pressed his forehead against mine.

"Do you promise?" I asked, I knew it was lot to ask for, promises can be broken, sometimes they're made to be broken but I needed this one to be real, I didn't want to lose him. I couldn't.

Jace slowly leaned forwards and captured my lips with his, his hand moving up to cup my cheek softly while moving my head gently to the side to deepen the kiss. I let a small moan escape my lips before giggling in embarrassment, making Jace chuckle and pulled away. "I promise." He grinned while tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "I won't ever leave you."

"Ditto." I muttered before I turned my head to look at the books on the table "Not like I actually wanna speak about this but have you found anything in Valentine's books?"

"These aren't books, Ari." Jace chuckled lightly "They're Journals ." He corrected me, I blushed slightly from my error of words, I should've known they were Journals. "Valentine used to keep these on the highest shelf in the cabin. I remember trying to read one once, to see what all the fuss was about." I gently moved myself to sit on the chair next to him, a small frown appearing onto my lips "He got to me before I could even open it. That was the last time we went back to that Cabin, now I know why."

I looked over at the Journal in front of me and ran my fingers over the words written "Jonathan Christopher, are these all about you?" I questioned, Jace gestured for me to come closer as he pointed at the names written in the book. "Morgenstern." He read out as he pointed at the name 'Jonathan Christopher Morgenstern' "Herondale." He continued as he pointed at the name 'Jonathan Christopher Herondale'

I exhaled softly "You were both opposite ends of the same experiment?" I exclaimed.

"There are hundreds of pages of notes. Years worth of research." Jace explained as he stood up while still holding the Journal "These Journals are." He sighed as he threw it onto the table "They're all that's left of my childhood."

I also stood up, my hands grasping at one of the Journals "But....wait, Jace, this was ten years ago." I exclaimed, my eyes widening slightly as I flicked through the Journal, I looked up and saw Jace's confused look "Look, Jonathan died in a house fire when he was infant. How could Valentine still be studying him if he was already dead?"

"Jonathan's alive." Ithuriel spoke out.

"Wait, Ithuriel wasn't talking about you." I suddenly realised as I sucked in a sharp breath.

"My brother....." Someone else answered, Jace and I both looked over towards the doorway. Clary's arms where crossed as her eyes watered slightly "It means he's still alive."

Authors note,
Yeah it's only a shot chapter, sorry!! The next one will hopefully be longer, I've just been very ill/sick, with a cold! Ugh!

~Robyn