𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐬𝐨𝐝𝐞 𝟕 - 𝘰𝘱𝘦𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘥𝘢𝘺

My ears pop as I suddenly blow my nose into a tissue

Mom winces at me as she places the back of her hand against my forehead. She shakes her head as I toss the tissue into the trash can she placed next to my bed.

"Just as I feared..." She scrunches her face a little, almost as if she feared her words would shatter me into a million pieces. "You've got a cold."

I sat up on the bed.

"What!? No! I can't have a cold! I'm supposed to take Elisa on our first date tonight!"

"I'm sorry, Brett." My mother sympathetically shrugs. "But there's nothing I can do...you're just going to have to reschedule." My head plops back into my pillow as I groan at my ceiling.

I can't believe this.

I finally ask Elisa out and I wake up with a cold on the very day of our date!

"So what's the verdict, Doc?" Bree walks inside my room as she eats a bowl of oatmeal with berries. Her spoon clinks with the ceramic bowl as she tries to pick up a stubborn blueberry.

"Well, your brother definitely has a-" but Mom's interrupted by my sudden sneeze.

"...cold." She purses her lips and motions to me.

"A cold?" Bree mutters as she chews on a berry. She lets out a small chuckle before looking at her bowl again and scooping some more oatmeal. "That's ironic."

"Don't you have tutoring to do? Or anything else besides annoy me?" I glare at her before I grab the nearest pillow and chuck it in her direction. She quickly moves to the side and watches as it lands next to her with the spoon in her mouth.

"Brett," Mom warns and I grumpily look away.

"It's fine, Mom." Bree assures. "He's right. I gotta go." I look back at her and she gives me the look. Bree and I have this look we give each other. It's sort of our silent apology. "Feel better." She lets out before turning around and walking out.

"Well, it's official." I shrug as I stare at the ceiling. "The Universe doesn't want me to be happy."

"Brett, don't say that." Mom sighs as she picks up the pillow I threw at Bree. "Why don't you rest while I fix you some breakfast?" She suggests as she places the pillow on my bed.