Reactivation

The battle was over in minutes. Amongst the shouting and chaos, Xavier managed to make his way to the gate and get the turrets to the villagers defending it. He climbed up the wall in case any monsters made it over, though he wasn't sure exactly what he would do if one did. Xavier wasn't a fighter. He had never killed anything in his life, except for deer.

Luckily though, he didn't have to worry about it. The villagers atop the wall took the turrets and began to rain concentrated energy down on the invaders. Scores of Bokoblins and Moblins were torn to shreds by the force of the blasts, and those that weren't caught fire and burned in a matter of seconds. Among the explosions, Robbie dipped and flowed through the enemy ranks, slicing heads, necks and chests. He moved gracefully through them all, and not a single monster claw touched him. His Sheikah training was too much for the monsters.

Once the dust settled and the remaining monsters retreated, Robbie returned, and the turrets were lifted back down to the ground. Xavier followed, with a smile on his face. The way they had repelled that attack so swiftly and effortlessly was incredible. Surely this was a cause for celebration.

But when he reached the ground, no one was smiling. In fact, he even heard the sounds of sobbing. Confused, he looked around. Why was no one celebrating? Then he saw. At the base of the wall was a collection of bodies. Several men and woman lay there, lifeless. The battle hadn't been as effortless as he had initially thought, and he felt foolish for thinking this place could get away unscathed. Robbie returned and knelt next to the bodies, chanting some sort of Sheikah prayer. When he was done, he gestured for the bodies to be moved, and several villagers, most likely family members, approached to take the bodies to a proper burial.

Xavier walked up to Robbie. "I didn't realize the cost had been so high. I saw you out there fighting and thought there was no way anyone was going to get hurt. You, coupled with those turrets repelled them so quickly."

"It doesn't take long in fights like that. Sometimes its hours, sometimes it's a couple minutes. Either way, we always end up a few villagers short each time." Robbie sighed, rubbing his shoulder. "You did well to get those turrets up here in time though. Without them, the casualties would have been even higher. And props to you for staying on the front lines incase the wall was breached."

Xavier blushed. He didn't want to admit he would have had no idea what to do had an actual monster approached him, but he didn't want to sit here and receive false praise either.

"Actually Robbie, while I did stay, I don't think I would have been much help if something had happened. I should count myself lucky you managed to keep them from getting too close to the wall. I was scared shirtless the entire time."

Robbie let out a small chuckle. "Well, you were scared, and you stayed anyway. That's good enough for me, and that's all anyone expects from you. There's no shame in being afraid. You stayed to help, and that's what matters. So, thank you."

Xavier didn't answer. Instead he jogged over to help with the corpses. Once the sun set, the bodies were given proper shrouds, and burned just outside of town, with Robbie and Cherry keeping watch. It was hardly uplifting, but a small sparkle of hope resonated within Xavier. In the morning he was going to scale the cliffs and find that rogue guardian Robbie was talking about before, and study it. Perhaps he could make some adjustments and succeed where Robbie failed. It was unlikely, as Robbie was much more intelligent then he was, and spent much more time studying them, but Purah had always taught him that a fresh set of eyes, no matter how inexperienced, could find something that was previously unseen. He would just have to wait until tomorrow

 He would just have to wait until tomorrow