Chapter 1

Mare

I kept running not wanting to be near any of those beasts. I run all the way down the hallway and down the stairs. I have nowhere to go. No family to run to. My family was off somewhere else. Where? I don't know! Those bastards won't even tell me where my family is and when I'll see them again. I run outside and push pass all the guards there to stop me. No one was daring to touch me. Energy was buzzing all around me, onetouch of me and you'll get electrified. I could see the lights flickering on and off as I got more angry. How could Cal do this to me. I asked him to choose me once long ago. That was a huge mistake for the both of us. I was stupid enough to think he would choose me this time. All he wants is that stupid crown of blood and fire.

I ran until I couldn't run anymore. I could tell someone was following me, but I couldn't tell who. I sent a bolt of lightning behind me. I watched long enough to see a metal shield blocking the lightning. I would have jumped into the river and swam away, but seeing that metal I knew that it was Evangeline. For some reason that stopped me. I have nothing against her. After all she saved me from Maven last time. The electricity around me buzzes down a little, but still not fully.

"What do you want," I demand not really in the mood to talk to anyone.

"I want to talk to you," she starts trying to calm me down showing she isn't trying to upset me anymore than I already am, "about the arrangement. I'm not exactly happy with it too."

"What do you mean it's all you've wanted since Queenstrial," I spit at her.

"No! It's what my father has wanted. My father and Cal's grandmother are the people who are forcing this. I'm sure Cal doesn't want it, and I definitely don't want it." she pauses seeing if I'll intertwine, but I don't so she continues, "so, what if they are gone." She breathes out in a whisper. I couldn't believe what I was hearing Evangeline wanted to kill her father, and Cal's grandmother.

"We can't kill Cal's grandmother, she's the only family Cal has left!" I grasp my hand to my mouth not knowing why I would say that. Why should I care about the person who claimed he loved me only to turn against me so he can have a stupid crown. I shouldn't care about his feelings. But yet I do. 

I ended up telling Evangeline that we should investigate other options first. Then staying out there until I felt good enough to go back. Once I was back in my room I just did anything to keep my mind off the prince. They had managed to get the power back by the next morning. I woke to find a note on my dresser telling me there was a guard meeting at 10. It was already 10 so I'll have to skip breakfast. I walked down to the room where we have been having guard meetings since we came to the Samos's. I open the door to see only Farley, and the Colonel. I was a mess still wearing the clothes I had been wearing yesterday not wanting to change last night. They were all crumpled and had a pine scent.

"What is it," I ask. It's never been just the 3 of us. Farley gives me a sympathetic look and hands me an envelope, with the royal seal on it. I open it up...

Hello Mare,

I do miss you very much. Too bad about Cal wanting the crown, because he'll never get it. Oh, and that temper, you should tame it, it'll make you to much work for any man. But if no other man wants you then I guess that'll lead you right to me. Can't wait for your 19th birthday.

I'll see you soon Mare,

Maven

I couldn't even breathe.

"Ha-have you read it," I stutter not sure what to think.

"No, but we do need to know what it says," the Colonel says. I hand it to him,