Chapter 7

Iris

I've noticed many thing since I became queen. For one Maven is truly a little boy. I can hear his cries for Mare at night. I like Mare. She reminds me of myself, but she is no good for the king. The boy is very childish. Norta wanted an air to the crown. He gave them one. Not his child though, some silver who had a low position who got lots of money for it. I am now pregnant. 8 months actually. Maven is telling everyone that it's ours, but I doubt anyone believes him. The boy made me travel a 2 day trip once because he claimed to have seen a purple lightning storm. We went, and found nothing, but an abandoned base that looked as if it hadn't been used in years. My sister was now Queen in the Lakelands, as I am queen here in Norta. She was ready to take the position as soon as father died, Unlike Maven, she'd been training to be queen since birth. Maven on the other hand has no idea what he's doing. It's hard dealing with the baby I'm going to have and Maven at the same time. I have to try and fix everything he does.

"Iris," he calls. I roll my eyes.

"Yes," I respond sweetly. Last time he got Mare he was stupid. He had his brother and her at the same time. He could've done something to his brother if Mare didn't do what he said. Instead the idiotic boy just put them out as bait, and got struck by the girls lightning.

"How's the baby?" he starts not waiting for an answer as always, "anyways, we heard rumor of someone seeing Julian, my brothers uncle, in the Lakelands, can you check up on that with, whatever her name is."

"Whatever her name is, is my sister Melody and the Lakeland queen, and yes I'll ask her," I say teeth clenched.

Later that day I call my sister, who doesn't answer, like usual. Like my dad. I just leave a message with her assistant asking about this Julian guy. Maven has so many people he wants to capture he'll never have them all. I'll never know what he wants with that Mare girl. She's one of those what they call new bloods. She's powerful. At our wedding I could see her famous purple lightning streaking across the sky. If it was just that she was powerful Maven would have killed her the second he got his hand on her. I think he still likes her. While they were betrothed I think Mare might have liked him based on what I've seen. What happened I'll never know. Mare knows more about that boy than I ever will.

A few days ago the so called Scarlet Guard attacked some random base. They weren't prepared for the amount of soldiers we had, and only a few got away. The rest are sitting in the dungeon giving us information. Both Maven and I suspect that they will try and rescue them soon, so we have at least a thousand guards lining our gates and more ready to come at any moment. The people we captured are mainly reds, and serve as a great new toy when I am bored like today. I walk down into the dungeon and see the 5 of them sitting in a cell. 4 of them were reds, and only one new blood. The new blood has silent stone attached to him to stop him from using his powers. He had a stoneskin like power, but different just like all the other new bloods. One of the prisoners stood out in particular. He had bright green eyes and was a red. He was fierce, and snapped at everyone who passed. I walk to sit right in front of their cell.

"How's your day," I say smirking. The green eyed one snarls at me.

"I don't know how do you think a day in a cell, and being tortured for information is going princess," he says.

"Queen actually, and my day is good thanks for asking," He gives me a really fake smile. They can all tell I am enjoying this. The new blood is the weakest because of the silent stone, and the reds, and just tired from the whisperers in their heads.

"Mare's gonna get you bad!" The green eyed one yells again.

"Stop Kilorn," one of the other reds nudge him.