Chapter 18

Mare

I don't know what happened other than that I had just killed Maven, the king of Norta. Everyone only watches for so long before everyone jumps into action. The silvers in the crowd get up to come kill me themselves and figures in red jump down from rooftops everywhere. This was going to be the last battle that would end this war. Everyone knew it. I move quickly the sky springing back into a purple haze of lightning. I run through the crowds taking down silvers on my way. I had to find Cal, I had to find my family. The first Scarlet Guard I see that I recognize is Evangeline who has metal pinned at the throat of several silvers. I join her,

"That was some show you put on," she jokes, but I can hear the hint of fear in her voice. I nod,
"Thank you, you were the one who saved my life," I whisper taking down guards coming at us from behind. She nods and runs off without saying a word. The lightning still pricks under my skin, but the strike on Maven, it tired me out, most of my energy now gone. I run through the crowd again knowing that I have to find Cal.

I was now mixed in a crowd of silver and red, good and bad. There was too much going on. I couldn't do anything. I pull the energy from the sky again and let the purple lightning strike down on silvers around me, each strike stronger than the next. Blue lightning joins mine and I smile knowing Ella was here, somewhere. I felt too powerful, but so tired. I push through the crowd bringing down everyone I touch. Under each red hood isn't the person I want. Where could he be. I know the only way to get to him would be to send a message. I focus my energy on the sky and try to make my lightning form fire and a music note. I pray that he'll see it and know where to go.

I take off running to where I hope I'll find Cal. I turn the corners the familiar route paining me. When I finally arrive in the place where we shared our first kiss, and the wonderful nights of dance lessons I see a figure hunched in a chair. He sees me and comes running.

"I was so scared that it was over," he whispers to me. I nod my head,

"Me too, I didn't think you would be able to come up with a plan so fast, you usually take days," I start but Cal interrupts,

"I didn't come up with the plan, your sister did. She came to everyone with an idea and we put it together and got everyone to come. It was all her, you are more alike than you seemed." I stare at him unable to believe that Gisa, my little sister came up with the rescue plan in 24 hours.

"Let's go win this battle," I say grabbing his hand and pulling him outside.

This battle was going to be long and hard, but there was another way to do it. We didn't have to kill all the silvers. I run around in the crowd again trying to find Farrah, I had to make a announcement loud and clear to everyone. I call out her name having no luck.

"Mare?" I hear a voice say loud and clear from somewhere. I follow the voice to a plane planted outside the walls.

"Amplify my voice really loudly," I whisper to her. She nods at me to start talking. I take a deep breath,

"Hello Norta, I am Mare Barrow. Some might think of me as a criminal or a murderer. The Scarlet Guard is here to win today no matter what. We are willing to not do it through war. If you surrender and promise to be loyal and not attack the reds, and scarlet guard then we will spare your life. If you wish to surrender come to where the core of my lightning is. That's where you'll find me. I hope to see you all there," I finish. Some Scarlet Guard members board the plane to go back to the base while others stay to fight. I was too tired to keep going and keep up the storm, so Cal came with me to go back to the base and see my parents.

We arrive at the base and I keep up the storm while I rest. By the time I'm done resting we have many silvers staying with us on our side. Some would decide it wouldn't be worth it to lose their lives to fighting us, while others think they will fight until their death. Either way we were going to win this battle. Cal shifts as I get up out of the bed.