Chapter 11

Mare

It's been around 4 months now I think. Maven hasn't come neither has anyone else. I do the same thing every day. Eat, exercise, repeat. Add in sleep somewhere in there. Honestly, it's been the most boring 4 months of my life. I have nothing to do. Sometimes I sit there screaming hoping someone will hear me and come. No one ever does. The maid comes in with dinner. I'm tired of eating the exact same thing for every meal. I sit there eating it up quickly trying to get rid of it. Once it's done I throw the glass against the wall like I used to. I only started doing it about a month ago, but they don't care. They moved me to plastic after a few days. I get up and go over my exercise routine. I've gotten really strong despite the shackles containing me. The silent stone doesn't bother me at all. I haven't used my lightning in so long it's like I don't even have it anymore. I do 20 push ups then stand up and do 20 burpees and repeat that a few times before starting to run laps. The laps are only around the edge of my room, but it's better than no exercise.

As I finish my 12th lap I hear the lock of the door go quietly and quickly. I slow down and stand back from the door ready to throw a punch if I have to. When the door opens Iris appears in front of me. I hold my stance and eye her. She finds no threat in me, I'm simply another red at the moment.
"Queen Iris," I say warily. She nods at me and sits down on my bed closing the door behind her.

"Trust me Mare, break the stance, I'm your friend tonight," she says brushing the rough material on my bed.

"And why would they be," I say letting go a tiny bit, but not enough to stop me from being able to kick her.

"You see you are a distraction to the king, and I think Norta would be better with a king who isn't in love with a criminal," Iris starts, "so, I will let you go, on 2 conditions." She waits for me to ask what they are, but I don't give her the satisfaction and she goes on without me, "1, you can never, and I say never hurt me, or Harriet. 2, you have to take me with you." I stare at her, seeing if she's serious.

"So, you want to leave here, and become a criminal, with your baby girl, and what you want me to take you to the Scarlet Guard, and say 'hey guys here's the exqueen of Norta and she's one of us now?' How can I trust you?" I question. She shrugs,

"You will just have to, it's up to you," she says turning to leave.

"Wait," I squeak, "when are we leaving?" I'm not sure if I will regret this, but I can face whatever will happen. Nothing is worse than being here with Maven.

"Tomorrow morning, bright and early, I'll have 2 backpacks fully packed with supplies and money. I'll bring Harriet here. I programed the camera's at random places in the the palace to go out tonight at this time, and tomorrow when I come to you," Iris finishes. I look at her amazed, "Yes I can program," she says walking out of the room. I lye down in my bed. Tomorrow I'll be out of here, I can't help thinking for the rest of the night.

The next morning Iris comes into my room quietly again this time holding to big bags, and Harriet. The little girl is beautiful. She has bright blue eyes, and soft blonde hair like Iris, and her smile is adorable. It remind me of Clara, the last time I saw her. Iris looks at me,

"What are you waiting for the cameras are only out for an hour, get moving," she whispers shoving a backpack at me. I put it on my back and am about to run out into the hallway.

"Wait!" Iris yells. She takes another key out of her pocket and takes off the shackles. I immediately feel the power back in my body begging to come out. I know if anyone sees purple lightning we will have no chance so I hold it in. When we run out into the hallway Iris hands me a cloth and I follow as she puts it around her face.

"Turn off all cameras we pass," she says taking off into a run. I run catching up to her in no time turning off every camera I can feel. It feels great to be able to use my lightning again. We run to a back passage out of the palace I didn't know was there. We sneak out, and run,