Chapter 16

Mare

It's 3am. I'm tired, but at the same time I'm filled with energy ready to attack. I'm sitting on the plane with the rest of the volunteers, as well as a few healers if we make it out. We are all in disguise as maids and guards. I stare at Cal touching my arm gently beside me trying to calm my heavy breathing.

"This plane doesn't need a lightning storm," he says encouragingly. I take a deep breath and try and think happy thoughts. Cal is my betrothed. Everyone will make it out alive. We weren't very far and we should be inside the building before 5. The plane takes off and the energy inside of me begs to seep out, but I hold it down. As we get closer I get more nervous by the second, Cal's warm hand on my arm, Cameron's power ready to be used against me at any second.

When we go in for a landing I squeeze Cal's hand tightly.

"I'll see you after, so we can plan that wedding," I say forcing the smile on my face. My brothers and Gisa come over. I hug each of them tightly knowing I won't let anything happen to them. Once I say goodbye to them I say goodbye to Cal.

"I love you, and I always will," I say through the tears streaming down my face.

"I love you too," he says kissing me one last time before we go in. The kiss lasts a while his warm lips pressing up against mine. I didn't want to let go and neither did he. When I finally break away from it. I continue holding his hand until we reach the back entrance to the palace that Cal showed us. He knocks on the door and we wait. A few seconds later another maid opens the door. She sees the guards and bows in respect and backs away. Cal and Bree are grabbing my arms pulling me inside as if I don't want to go. They lead us into the corridors and we split up. I'm with Gisa. We are both dressed as red maids so we walk around with our heads down in silence.

"Let's find him," I say walking down the hallway.

We assume he is in the throne room, but maids don't go to the throne room unless they are called there, so Cal, Bree, and Tramy were going to check there. Cameron and Evangeline were checking all around, and Gisa and I are checking his bedroom. I lead us down the familiar hallways to his bedroom. I can see Gisa out of the corner of my eye questioning why I know my way around so well. She doesn't know how much time I've spent in this palace, not just as a prisoner, but as Mareena. An image suddenly comes back to me of Maven meeting up with the scarlet guard out in the corridor one night, and when him and Cal hid me after Evangeline cut me in a battle. I shake the images off, that was a Maven made for my liking, I'm here to kill the real Maven. The one I thought I knew died long ago.

Gisa's watching me with a worried look on her face, and I realize my skin glowing a little. I calm it down quickly, not wanting to draw attention. The lightning was literally at the top of my skin now, and I had to be really careful. We arrive at his door. I grab a cart that was sitting out in the hallway and Gisa sits at my side as we knock on the door, before pushing it in. The guards at the door study us, but only for a second assuming we were red maids. We go in to see Maven but there's nothing there, but his clothes lying on the bed, and a light in the bathroom. I gulp. I didn't want to do this without him clothed. I do what maids are supposed to do, make the bed, clean his room. When he comes out of the shower, he ignores us lowly red maids and puts on his clothes. I ignore him too, and reach into my pocket and grasp my hand around the red button in my pocket. It will buzz everyone else's. I hold my breath as I hold down the button. Gisa's pocket buzzes, but Maven doesn't notice. I know that it'll take a few minutes for everyone to get here so my hands fidget while I wait.

"Guard's go fetch someone to take me to the throne room, I have a broadcast to make," Maven says as 4 more guards appear 2 seconds later. I hold my breath hoping that they'll get here soon.
"What did we talk about, I need more guards, you never know when Mare Barrow will strike. A few seconds later 6 more guards appear. I can't help but smirk at his comment. He takes off down the hallway and we follow. He'll suspect us soon enough.