Chapter 10

Mare

I swore I was dead after the fire, I knew I was dead, I had to be. I felt the same though. Is this Heaven, or Hell. I look around. I'm in medical room,

"Hello?" I yell. I should be in pain, unless I'm dead. Can you feel pain once you're dead?

"Nice to see you awake," Maven says calmly from behind me. I suddenly wish I was dead. I want to send lightning at him, but I already know that I have shackles. I look over at him to see he has bandages everywhere, and a back brace. He sees me looking at it and explains without me asking.

"When you were basically dying you sent out a very strong shockwave that killed almost everyone in the palace," Maven says. He sees my eyes well up with tears, but he interrupts first saying, "not everyone, just your enemies. He got away. We thought you were dead, but then they found a heartbeat, and well put you here." I scoff, "I'd rather be dead right now." Maven raises his eyebrows, "We can have that arranged," he says not meaning it. I look him straight in the eyes,

"Broadcast me, show my family that I'm not dead," I command. He smiles a devilish smile,

"What fun would that be, my brother wouldn't be suffering. How sad everyone must be that little lightning girl is 'dead'. Don't worry we will keep you here hidden. As long as they don't know you're here, they won't come for you," Maven says smiling. I breath out not wanting to say anything to Maven to make anything harder on me.

"How's your baby," I say. I'll find a way to get out of here, somehow. He smiles,

"Great would you like to meet Princess Harriet. Iris!" Maven hollars. Iris comes in holding a little girl in her arms.

"Hi Mare, nice to see you as a prisoner again," Iris remarks. I give her a grin saying that she's lucky I didn't kill her before. She brings the baby near me. The little girl with Iris's and Maven's blue eyes stares up at me.

"Figure out her 'gift' yet," I say making sure to use quotations when saying gift. This 'gift' has given me nothing, but sadness, and suffering. Iris smiles,

"Not yet, but I think she takes after me, she's been wet quiet a few times, when she hasn't done her business," Iris says. She seemed happy, so did Maven. They had me, and they had an air, what else did they need.

"What are you going to do with me, if not use me to speak for people?" I ask. Him and Iris look at each other. Maven shrugs,

"We don't know, but don't worry we'll find something to use you for. Other than keeping you looked up in this room of course. We don't want anyone else knowing that you are alive." Iris says.

"How long since the battle?" I question.

"30 days, a month basically," Maven says before they leave me alone with nothing, but my thoughts. No lightning no family, not even a single book. They are taking no chances this time. They weren't going to let me go. No matter what.

I think about what my family could be like a month after my supposed death. They might have been trying to go back to how their life was before. A month after Shades death, I might have been back at Mavens. How much pain they must have gone through when they first found out. I remember exactly what it was like for Shade, both times. Then I realize what happened to Shade is happening to me now. They lied about our deaths, just to have us show up again and die again. Except with me I might not show up again. I can't help but think what it's like for Cal. He didn't have anyone other than me, and now that he thinks I'm gone, he might have moved on to have someone else in his life. This makes me cry. I didn't want Cal to move on, but I didn't want him to wait around for me forever. The rest of the afternoon I wonder about what my family is doing. I've been captured by Maven a ton, but someone's always known that I was here and was waiting for the perfect time to save me. Now, I was still with Maven, but no one would know to come and save me.