Epilogue

12 years later

Mare

The crying starts again as I roll out of bed to go change, or feed Adelaide. Cal shifts at my movement, but doesn't get up. I walk down the hall to the 2nd room on the left. Adelaide sits lying in bed her room already burned with fire. She had found her ability early and uses it a lot. I go over to pick her up and lull her back to sleep, but the second I pick her up she stops crying and stares with her little bronze eyes up at my face. I smile, and she laughs. I bring her back to my room, as she is more calm when she sleeps with Cal and I. Once I see she's fallen asleep I let myself drift off too.

The next morning I get up early with Adelaide to hush her, so she won't wake her siblings. I bring her to the kitchen and prepare a bottle for her. I let her suck on it while I sit and make make a few bowls of cereal for the rest of the kids when they wake up. It was a Saturday morning and Cal was going to take the twins to their ability classes. Cal comes in next carrying Chase on his hip. Chase was 3 now and runs to his bowl of cereal.

"He had another accident," Cal whispers. Chase has a special ability he has lightning that's on fire. He uses it a lot not usually on purpose, but he's done a lot of damage to his room. I nod and hand Cal the number of the ability control teacher. He goes to call as Shade Jr. comes in already in his training suit. He was named after Shade, Cal and I thought it would be appropriate to name our oldest after him.

"I'm going to go train a little this morning," he says before turning around. At only 10 years old Shade Jr. has already become an expert at his lightning. I nod and go back to preparing more bowls of cereal it won't be long until the twins wake up. Afterall most 7 year olds don't sleep very late. When they come in they are both ready for their ability class and even have their fire and lightning on their hands battling.

"Vivian, Tess, stop using your abilities against each other," I say putting the bowls in front of them. They all sit there eating happily when there is a knock at the door.

"I thought Bree, Annet, and Tammy were meeting us at the lesson?" Cal asks. Tammy, Bree's daughter, was the twins age and they go to train in our arena sometimes.

"Maybe it's Tramy and Emmy, I know they wanted to drop Maeve off to hang out with Chase," I say walking towards the door. I open the door to see Ryder, Gisa's boyfriend standing at the door. Ryder has never came over without Gisa.

"Hi Mare, we need to talk," he starts, "it's about Gisa. Something's wrong."