Chapter 8

Mare

We stayed up late that night. Having fun. Something that hasn't happened in a long time. At least not like that. Yet I still had to wake up early. I wanted to get in more training before we left. We were leaving at 10. I never put in the earring that Cal had given me. I take the little scarlet bead in my right hand. I wasn't going to let Maven get it this time. I was about to put it next to Kilorn's, Shade's, Bree's, and Tramy's, but it didn't feel right. I go to my other ear and find the perfect spot. I put the scarlet red bead in, as it blends in with the blood from my ear. I get rid of the blood and admire the earring on my opposite ear. If I didn't make it back, I would have a little piece of the people I loved with me. I smile as I go to the dining hall for a quick final breakfast with my whole family, Kilron should have been there, but he'll be there for breakfast tomorrow. I hope. Cal was waiting in the training courts for me to finish. My family is already waiting there for me. We had about 1 hour till we left, and no one wanted to admit it.

"There's our girl," my mom says giving me a long hug. She sits me down next to her, and Bree. Since Bree and Tramy were leaving too we all were really quiet. When we finish breakfast Mom gives us each a long hug and tells us,

"Be safe, all of you, watch out for each other as well as yourself." She says the last part to me. She hugs me for at least a minute not wanting to let go. Gisa hugs us too, as well as Dad. It is sad. We had a half hour left. It was only with the people going though. Everyone had to go train. Right before. I meet Cal there giving him a big hug. He notices the earring,

"It's on the other ear." I smile,

"That's because you are special," I say planting a long kiss on his lips. He kisses me back. Who knows. This could be the last time. His warm lips send a buzz down my body. I didn't want to leave this, but I had to. I pull away not wanting more time to think.

"Let's train," I say sending a bolt of lightning at one of the moving targets hitting a bullseye. I do easy drills wanting to save my energy for the battle.

When the clock strikes 10, people start to load onto planes. I'm on a plane with Cal, my brothers, Cameron, and Ella. It was going to be a 20 minute plane ride. I couldn't stop myself from starting freak out. My heart beats with the electricity. I have butterflies threatening to come out. We take off. I try my hardest not to bring the plane down. I try and focus on something else. Cal sees my eyes darting everywhere, and my heavy breathing and puts his arm on me. I focus on his warm hands and what it feels like. Just in case. Once we are about to land, and are in their tracking range I stand up. I walk over to Bree and Tramy. I give them each a huge hug.

"Don't come back for me like he did," I whisper to them as I walk away. They both know who I'm talking about. Who died coming back to save me. The plane lands. I pull Cal into me. I kiss him like there's no tomorrow. Who knows, there might not be. I push that thought out of my mind and enjoy the kiss. When I break free. Cal just says 4 words to me before we are pulled off the plane,

"Mare, I love you." I take a breath and whisper,

"I love you too." We exit the plane. Cal and his group of people going into the castle go closer and hide. I take a deep breath in and a deep breath out. Ella at my side ready to talk to me while I was making the storm. I had lost track of every person I love already 5 seconds into battle. Everyone was in position. All they were waiting for was me. I take another breath and call for the lightning. I draw it from everywhere around us. I was told to create a huge storm. I pull the energy from everywhere in Norta I can. The sky lights up with purple lightning. Right near the castle. The second everyone sees it, they really get ready. This battle has begun. My purple lightning rains down onto the palace area. I can hear the guards starting to head out to find me. Who know how many guards Maven has waiting. We could be outnumbered and killed instantly. As I create the storm people start to find us. I'm hidden in the middle of the group, but my purple lightning could be seen from miles away.