Chapter 4

Cameron

Ever since Mare came back burned and broken, the Scarlet Guard has been doing a lot of nothing. I go to meetings when I want, they don't really care if I'm there or not. I hang out with Mare sometimes, but usually Cal, Kilorn, Ada or her family are in there with her. It's been a few weeks since the attack on the Hall of Sun, but Mare still hasn't left her room. I'm not sure why, she can't walk, but that wouldn't stop me. It's most likely that stupid doctor keeping her inside. I touched Mare's leg once and he screamed at me, Mare even said it didn't hurt, but apparently doctor knows best. I decided today I would go see Mare, than go to the guard meeting. I started hanging out with Gisa, Mare's little sister. She's younger than me, but one of the only kids here, and super nice. I go to the cafeteria and grab some lunch for me and Mare and head to her room. I walk into Mare's room to find Mare and Cal on her bed making out!

"Oh, um, sorry, I'll go," I say backing out. At least now I know what Mare and Cal's relationship is.

"No, it's fine I have training," Cal says and kisses Mare one more time goodbye.

It's a little awkward after Cal leaves. No one really knows what was happening with the 2 of them, well I guess I know now.

"I was just going to come hang out a little before my guard meeting today, but if you want me to go, that's fine," I say.

"No stay I could use some company," Mare says. I swear every time that girl gets back from Maven she is different. Sometimes she's really kind, and nice, but sometimes all she wants is revenge. This time she has become super nice, and caring. I feel bad for her. Every time she comes back she's injured, whether it's emotional or physical. Mare should be the one to kill Maven, out of everyone here. The poor girl is only eighteen, and she may never be able to walk again. No one would ever say that to Mare. Everyone tells her she'll get better. I want to help her get better.

"So, you going to come to the meeting today?" I ask her. She frowns,

"If only the doctor would let me. He says I'm still too dangerous to be out of this room. Apparently my lightning is unstable. It isn't unstable though, just stronger," she says.

"Oh, well just tell the doctor you won't use your lightning when your outside," I suggest. Mare shakes her head,

"He doesn't trust me. The only way he would let me go anywhere would be with shackles, and..." We all know that shackles are the worst things for Mare.

"I'll try and help figure something out, you don't deserve to be locked up," I say already thinking of a plan in my head. Most wouldn't work. I put the food down on her side table and we both start to eat. We talk a little about our lives back home.

"Even if the doctor would let me out, it's not like a broken leg, I couldn't use crutches and couldn't walk anyways," Mare says out of the blue, obviously thinking about it a lot.

"What about a wheelchair?" I ask her. Her face scrunches up in confusion,

"Back where I came from if you were injured below the waist, they would give you a wheelchair, so you could keep working," I say, but Mare still has no idea what I'm talking about. "A wheelchair is basically a chair with wheels and handles for someone to push you, did you not have them in the stilts?" Mare shakes her head,

"When someone broke their leg you would get a cast, and if you can afford crutches. If you can't afford them you walk on it," Mare says. "Once Sha-" she stops not wanting to finish her sentence. I don't push her to either. Shade has been a sensitive topic. I didn't know him very well, but I know he died getting Mare, and is the father of Clara, Farley's baby.