Chapter 14

Gisa

Mare works us hard. We have only been training for 4 days now, and Mare works us harder than I think the army would have. I'm scared, but I can't just sit back here while all my siblings fight, I had to go. We were leaving in 3 days, and Mare and Cal had planned a big party for all of our loved ones the night before, and I know they will make it a big event. So if it is our last night with our families, it'll be a happy one. Mom hasn't been very chatty the past few days. She hates that we are all going, but she knows she can't change our minds. I knit when I can, but most of the time at either training with Mare, or a guard meeting which I go to everyday now. The guard meetings are from 11 until 12, and our practice sessions are from 1 until 5 so I have the evening and morning to do other things I want to do.

This morning I woke up late and don't have much time before the guard meeting so I'm on my way to breakfast then directly to the guard meeting. I get to the cafeteria and run over to Cameron who is sitting alone eating.

"Hey," I say putting my tray next to hers. She nods in acknowledgement. She has been really quiet lately. I knew she didn't like to use her powers to kill very much, but she volunteered to and said she wanted to help kill Maven, so... We don't talk during lunch until Cameron sees that I'm finished eating and stands up with her tray,

"Let's go," she says walking over to the garbage and putting her tray down before storming out of the room, I follow in a hurry. I was ready for this to be over and for Cameron to go back to normal. She walks to the training courts instead and realize that we are supposed to start training early today.

We get to training to see Mare and Cal standing up and everyone else sitting. Mare sees me and softens and it's noticeable. It always is, Mare goes easy on me, she's soft around me unless she can't and I hate it, because I'm not the small little girl I used to be. I sit down trying my hardest to ignore it and push it into the back of my mind.

"3 days," Mare starts laughing softly, "in 3 days we will be in the palace trying to find him, so make every second here count. Today we will train for hours, it will be very tiring. After dinner you will come back here to train more before you sleep. Tomorrow we will start at the same time as today, but only go until 2, when we usually start. The rest of the afternoon will be used for you to spend time with your loved ones, and enjoy it. Tomorrow night we have a little surprise here in the training courts at 6. Let's start training." I wasn't looking forward to tomorrow night. All of Mom and Dad's kids are leaving and they are going to cry a lot. Which will make me cry, which will make Bree and Tramy cry.

We start training off with a few laps around the court. It's harder for me because we are in a silver training space, but Mare keeps saying we will face silvers so I have no excuse. Where the silvers or new bloods would use their ability I use a knife, gun, or shield. I've gotten used to it the past few days because Cal makes me do laps around it every time I do something wrong. I've been training with Cal, Bree, and Tramy. I'm half of their sizes so it is again a challenge for me, but I am improving and Cal helps me a lot. I'm seeing why Mare likes him, he's really funny and smart, just like Mare. He pushes me, but not too far beyond my limits.

After I finish the laps Cal puts us in a room one at a time. I go first. I can see Mare watching biting her lip. I've never used this room, I don't know what it's for so I have my gun in one hand and my knife drawn in the other. I hear Cal say something, right before all of a sudden I'm in a virtual reality type place I think. I react quickly when I see 2 guards pop out. I raise my gun right as I feel water splurged across my face. I gasp for air and shoot my gun, but I can't see where. The water disappears, and Cal's shouts bounce off the walls,

"Don't shoot randomly, you were lucky, you could have hit your sister, or brother there and killed them in a instance!" I can hear the awkwardness after he says this at the thought of me shooting any of my siblings.