Chapter 9

Evangeline

When Mare's lightning lights up the sky everyone gets ready for a battle. Once the battle had started I realized how often the purple stopped lightning up the sky. Only for a few seconds, but it did. Who knows what Mare was doing during that time. In the middle of the battle Mare's lightning just stopped. It stopped for the rest of the battle. For a while the thought that Mare was gone, dead, had struck my mind. Then all of a sudden a huge amount of purple lightning came bursting out from the palace gates, electrocuting, and killing everyone it touches. It didn't stop for at least a minute, and when it finally did we boarded the planes to go home. Everyone thinks Mare is dead. After that last burst of lightning. Mare never returned, but somehow Cal did, and he was with her during her burst of lightning. I don't know what happened. and neither does anyone else, other than Cal who most likely won't say a thing. The Cameron girl has been quiet, I think she knows a little. Not that anyone will know the full story. I can't help but wonder if Maven killed her. After everything he's done to save her, if he killed her. I hope if he did, Mare took him down with her. It might have been a random silver who just wanted to kill her though. The point was she was gone, and Cal wasn't even crying just sitting there stone like. The planes were practically empty compared to the way there. We had to leave a plane there and all the planes were still really empty. The Cameron girl was on the plane, as well as Ella the person who trained Mare. There were many people crying on my plane, whether it was because they lost Mare, or someone else. I go over to Cameron wanting to know what she knows.

"Hey Cameron right," I say. She's glum and just nods, "do you know what happened?" she looks me right in the eye. She has tears welling up her eyes.

"Not really. Right before she told me and Ella to go back out of the palace. Her and Cal went to look for Maven. She was too nice to that queen. She let her go. Said not to kill a newborns mother. I guess she just had a baby, she was pretty fat," Cameron babbles. It was a ton to take in. Mare was looking for Maven with Cal, and Iris had just had a baby. I'm about to respond when Cameron continues, "I feel bad for her family, it's barely been 2 years since they lost Shade, and now they lost Mare too. Mare would be happy to know that both her brothers, Cal and Kilorn returned safe though." Cameron nods to the 2 boys in the corner crying, along with Kilorn, Mare's friend. Cameron just stops talking and goes back to her own thoughts. I look at Cal. I can't help, but think, that he has no one he loves left. Mare was the last one, and now she's gone. I look back at the group of boys in the corner. They are all crying a ton. I can't imagine, what it's going to be like for her parents. At least Mare got to celebrate her birthday with everyone, as a last goodbye party. I watch everyone around me crying, and can't help feeling bad for how many people I had killed, and how my brother had killed Mare's brother. I don't know what it's like to lose a family member, especially one I love. Seeing everyone crying on the way back from the battle breaks my heart of metal. I look over at my family happily sitting there to find everyone not injured, and alive. Not having a care for all the people who just lost someone they loved. I feel bad for wanting to kill my father and Cal's grandmother, now that I see what it's like for people when they lose someone. We are back at the base in 20 minutes. The ones who were badly injured, past the capability of the few healers there get out of the plane first. The eager families waiting to see the results stand waiting to see their kids and family come out alive. Almost half of those people won't be satisfied tonight. I go out as one of the last people, having no one waiting for me to come out. I see Mare's parents talking to their sons faces turning into frowns, and soon into sobs. They all walk back towards their rooms, sobbing for the lost ones. Cal is alone as he heads to his room. Not saying a word to soul. I watch all the other families, and people walk off crying for their lost family and friends. I can't watch anymore and just go to my room and wield something random out of metal. I couldn't stand to watch anymore of people crying.