Chapter 15

Mare

Today was the day before we left. I wasn't coming back here, not without Maven dead. I was going to kill him or be killed. I knew I wouldn't let him get a grasp on my family, on Cal. If he gets any one of them I knew what I had to do. Hopefully that won't happen. Everyone is starting to arrive for training today. It is shorter, so we have to work really hard. Cal said we have to give them an afternoon off to spend time with their family and then have a big party. Cal has done most of the planning I've been really distracted. I train more than anyone. When everyone else stops I usually keep going for a while longer. I'm strong, stronger than ever. I knew that no matter how strong I was there was still that chance, so I made a commitment to myself that today I will spend half the afternoon with my family and half with Cal. I wanted to have a proper goodbye just in case. If we killed Maven, I don't know what will happen after, the important thing is for us to kill him. No matter how much I tell myself this I can't help but feel a twinge of guilt, and the old love I had for the fake Maven. I remind myself that he took so much from you, your brother, your freedom, and he tortured you over and over again with the thoughts of what would happen to my family if he got them, or what he would do to me. I shudder before returning my attention to my siblings and Farley who walk into the training area laughing and bumping shoulders with each other. I let my shoulders relax, and the tension in my whole body disappear. I let go of the fist I had moments earlier, and the lightning ready to burst out of my skin buzzes down. They sit down in front of Cal so he can tell them what to do as I wait for Evangeline, and Cameron.

I get tired of waiting and the lightning builds up to the top of my skin again and I let it out at one of the nearby targets nearly burning it down with the power of my lightning just as Evangeline walks in.

"Feeling tense today little lightning girl?" she teases I give her a half smile and send another bolt right above her head buzzing right by hitting the bullseye of the target behind her. I see the flicker of fear for a second before the snarky smile returns to her lips. She's seen what I could do and knows I could beat her in a battle. Cameron comes in and stands purposefully in between us.

"So should we warm up?" Cameron asks. I nod and Evangeline goes to the targets to shoot knives and metal scraps.

Cameron practices her powers on me and I yell out what I'm feeling. She starts easy and I lye down as she takes away my ability. I feel the hollowness, but ignore it to help Cameron,

"Powers gone!" I shout. She pushes harder and I gasp as my eyesight goes blurry then black. I try and stay calm and call out to Cameron,

"Eye sight!" she might have nodded, but I can't see. She pushes harder and I can't talk so I hold up 3 fingers to show that. Then 4 as I can't hear her either. Honestly I felt dead, but I didn't say anything as I was meant to be training Cameron. When I start feeling unable to breath I hold up 5 fingers and Cameron releases and my hearing, sight, voice, breathing, and lightning come back in an instant. I sigh in relief and move on to my own training and Cameron continues with animals.

Asmuch as I desperately want to create a storm and take all the energy from the base I can't today so I settle with creating electric currents coming from my body. The energy starts small bubbling from my skin then I expand it so it shoots out from my body all around me electrifying anything easily.

"Hey Evangeline," I call, "up for a battle today." She doesn't show it, but I know she's scared of what I can do to her or her brother. I will stay true to my deal as long as I want to be. She couldn't decline as that would show too much weakness. The metal on her dress she's currently wearing forms into armour. The healer stops at the side waiting for us to start.

Cal calls for the battle to start and the second he does I make the first move sending a bolt of lightning at her before she can even think. It throws her off her balance as it usually takes a few seconds for everyone to call their ability. Mine is buzzing off my skin ready to pounce. I let the lightning around me buzzes off farther hitting anyone within an arm's length reach. She backs up scared and shocked from the bolt I already hit her with. The bolt was only strong enough to slow her down the whole battle. I didn't want to end it before it begun. She smirks as the same metal bugs from our first battle climb up my leg digging themselves into my flesh. I wince in pain, but the bugs can't withstand my lightning for long and each only digs in for a few seconds before falling off limp from the electric current coming from my body. She sends a knife or 2 my way which I dodge sending several bolts of lightning accompanied by I shock down her body. I see sweat drip down her forehead as she sends a huge amount of metal my way. Too much to dodge so instead I try and electrify as much as possible and the rest of I try and avoid as much as possible. I do get a few cuts here and there as well as a bigger one on my left leg that was bleeding a lot. I don't have time to pay attention to it and then out of anger send a huge shock down Evangeline's spine causing her to collapse unable to stand solidifying a win for me.