Chapter 17

Gisa

My wrist burns from the fire as the healers put their cool hands on it. My heart burns more as I think about how Mare just gave up her life for ours. How we have to tell Mom and Dad that she's back with Maven. Everyone's quiet in their corners. She wasn't dead though, we could still save her. I go over to Cal whose sulking on the floor wiping away the tears from when he said goodbye to her.

"We can save her, we'll find a time to do it," I whisper to him. He looks at me his eyes filling with tears as he looks at me,

"Maven won't like that we are engaged, his love for Mare will seize when he finds out. Without him loving Mare, he'll kill her, soon. All we can hope is she'll escape on her own," he says turning away. I think about what he said as we ride back to the base. When we land I dread having to tell everyone. Cameron sits next to me not talking, but just being there. When the door opens for us to go off I stand up and go to Bree and Tramy. We all come off together and go to Mom and Dad sitting there anxiously.

"Maven got her," Bree whispers.

"She gave herself in, in return for our freedom," I whisper dreading what Cal said. I go with Farley and Cal to the meeting room, they said Maven called for a mandatory broadcast all over Norta.

We sit down with others that didn't come waiting for Maven's face to appear on the screen. When he does I sigh in relief that Mare is behind him.

"Hello Norta, I have caught the criminal Mare Barrow and we have decided that her punishment could only be death. We have arranged for her execution day to be tomorrow at 2pm. Tickets to see it in person will be sold starting after the broadcast and I welcome the Scarlet Guard to try and stop me. Goodnight Norta," Maven says as the TV turns off. Mare's face behind him was shocked. I knew Cal said that once he doesn't love her anymore he'll kill her, but it's so fast. I knew that someone must be planning something right now. I look in Cal's direction to see him closing his eyes as the tears seep out. I feel my face get wet too, and all of my family leaves the room to go cry on their own. As sad as I was I couldn't help thinking that we will find a way to save her, and then it hits me. I knew how.

Mare

When Maven said my execution was tomorrow my jaw dropped I knew that he would try and kill me but tomorrow? That was so soon, the Scarlet Guard has no time to plan. Which means it was up to me.

They brought me back to my cell and shut me in. I was tempted to thank them for all the thinking time they were giving me. All I did was think. Think of ways out of here. If only I had Cameron's power. The silent stone wouldn't affect me and I could kill off everyone in my way. I put that in the back of my mind and thought how I could get out. As much as I think about it, the only thing I can think of is to just try my best to fight them like the red I am.

After thinking all night, I know that I'm dead. Today will be my death day. The day Mare Barrow, the criminal, dies. I knew it would happen eventually. After everything that's happened I was silly to think that I would have a happy ending with Cal and my family. The guards bring my breakfast, but I just throw it against the wall, what's the point of eating if your about to die. I have to make this hard and annoying for Maven. The whole morning I scream at the top of my lungs so he can hear me and get no rest. I want him to hear my cries and know that he's killing what he once considered that he loved.

When the guards finally come in fetch me I know this will be a long ending. Maven is going to make a whole show out of it, that's for sure. I can't help but wonder how much he charged for tickets. How many people actually bought them. I walk outside looking strong. If I'm going down I'm going down looking strong and brave. I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of watching me fall. I stare down at the crowd below me, full of people whose been wronged by me. I can't feel sorry for them, they payed money to come and watch me be killed. Maven sits on his throne a smile on his evil, twisted face. I smirk back at him. Make him think the Scarlet Guard was coming, or I had a plan. I take my place in front of Maven's throne where the guards had throne me. I stand tall in front of him refusing to kneel. He motions at something before addressing the crowd,