Chapter 5

Mare

It's been a month now since I got into my wheelchair for the first time. I have been training with Ella for a while. We started off easy just by hitting targets in the normal training court. Then we did a little bit of storms, and today she told me to try electrocute the sheep with my mind, without any lightning showing. I don't find doing anything with my lightning hard lately. Ever since whatever happened at the Hall of Sun, I've been so powerful... when it comes to lightning. My legs I'm still having trouble with. Ada's been helpful. I've accomplished being able to kick my legs with some effort, but I walking is not possible yet. I can't put pressure on my legs.

"Focus Mare, electrocute the sheep without anyone here seeing it. I promise that you won't hurt it, there is a healer right there to heal it after you shock it," Ella tells me. I refused to do it before without a healer nearby. I didn't want to hurt the animal.

"Focus Mare," I whisper to myself. I feel the sheeps energy after a little while and try and use it to electrocute the sheep. A little spark comes from the sheep, but otherwise I think I did a pretty good job, plus the healers heal the sheep quickly.

"Good Mare, but on the battlefield you would have to push harder and try to kill them, not shock them," Ella says, "any idea when you'll be getting out of the wheelchair, because we could really use you on for the attack this afternoon." Ella reminds me that a group of people including Kilorn were going to attack another base today. I didn't want Kilorn to go, but he is.

"Speaking of walking I should get going, I've got lessons with Ada in and hour, and I should get lunch," I say grabbing the wheels and pushing them. Cameron taught me how to push myself around.

I go to the dining hall, and look for Cal. I see him waiting at our usual table. I wheel myself over to him. I really do want to walk, but the pain is unbearable.

"Hey how was training," I ask him.

"Same old boring stuff, how about you?" he asks me smiling. We do this every day always having the same answer,

"Boring without you," I say kissing him. Cal and I have been trying to enjoy this time as much as possible. The second I'm better I'll be off fighting again, and Cal will be there right next to me.

"So, dinner tonight. I've got something planned," Cal says smiling.

"Okay," I say inspecting him, he seems excited for it, "what time, and where?"

"8, and I'll come get you in your room," he says smiling. We finish up our lunch quickly as I have 'lessons' with Ada. They weren't really lessons. She's helping me try and walk, but not really walk yet. Right now we mainly just try and move my feet, of legs. Hopefully we will eventually get to walking. I don't know what Maven's planning, but he must be planning something. If he isn't yet he will after our attack today. I'll have to be able to walk if Maven gets me. I kiss Cal goodbye when we get to my room.

I wait for Ada for a little while. When she does come she apologises over and over for being late.

"It's fine Ada!" I say for the millionth time. We go over our normal exercises first. I have become good at these. They just involve my neck, and my arms.

"I was thinking today maybe we can try and roll your ankles, then kick your legs a few times. Remember if anything hurts or is uncomfortable tell me," Ada says. She takes off the brace on my legs keeping it from moving. "How are the burns, they look as if they are going away," Ada says.

"The burns go farther than the eye can see," I mutter. Ada will never understand what I meant by that, no one will ever understand what I mean by that. He always manages to create one more burn.