Chapter 10

Blah, blah, blah. You see that? that's me boring you with pointless words. Chappy down there ppls!! :D

READ IT WITH A SMILE!!

Chapter 10

Mallory

                The week passed in a slow, sluggish pace. It dragged by, seeming never ending; and yet, it seemed to be over in the blink of an eye.

                I had learned more than I ever imagine about Damien in the last several days. We had spent countless hours talking, just talking. We talked about everything under the sun, pretty much. I had never known he had so many questions. I was genuinely curious about him, which surprised me. I normally live in my own world, not caring about the real world.

                Our questions ranged from things as simple as favorite colors, to our darkest secrets.

                “Tell me about your mom.” I blurted out on the third day, instantly regretting it. I watched as his eyes darkened considerably before he looked away, hiding his emotions from me. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have.” I stumbled out, eyes wide in disbelief at myself. He breathed out a chuckle, shaking his head.

                “No, you deserve to know. Your question just… surprised me.” He sighed, lifting his eyes to meet mine. Wanting to double check, I searched his eyes, hoping he didn’t really mind. His lips twitched in something that matched a grimace. “My mom…” he trailed off, taking a deep breath.

                “My mom was amazing; everyone liked her. She was the sweetest women you could’ve ever met, but she could make full grown men cower when she was angry.” He chuckled slightly. I smiled; glad he was opening up to me. “She was tough, but she had to be to end up with my dad.” He stopped again, the side of his mouth tugging up into a half smile.

                His eyes were distant, staring at me and yet not seeing me. His smile slipped and he frowned, his hand turning over in mine. I watched as his eyes clouded over even more.

                “I was ten when she died,” he started in a faraway tone, seeming to be reciting it all. “She was out on a run with my father. The threat of hunters had lessened and our guards were down; that’s exactly what they wanted. They were ambushed,” he paused, his voice still in a monotone. “She was dead before Kane could do anything. It ruined him; he didn’t talk for weeks, staying in his room to throw tantrums. When he resurfaced… he was different. He was cold and cruel, with a new, intense hatred for humans.” He stopped and blinked.

                His eyes cleared and he shook his head, coming out of a daze. This time, when he met my eyes, he was there. I gave him a reassuring smile, squeezing his hand.

                “Thank you,” I whispered. He gave me a confused look.