Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Mallory

Darker than darkness was there to greet me as I peeled my eyes open. Strangely, it was blotched with little twinkling lights that looked like... stars? An unfamiliar breeze brushed across my exposed skin, making goose bumps and my panic rise.

Where was I? Had I been kidnapped? Was I sleepwalking? Since when did I sleepwalk?

It took a moment for the heavy breathing in my ear to register, along with the dead weight on my stomach.

Slowly, hesitantly, and with fear in my heart, I turned my head.

I let out a deep breath when Damiens' relaxed face came into my vision. A new kind of panic crawled up my spine and I stared at him with wide eyes. Why was Damien asleep next to me?

My eyes darted around and I jumped slightly in surprise; why was I outside? The last thing I remembered was getting comfortable next to Damien after 'story time' and...

My mouth dropped open, forming an 'O'. I guess I sort of, maybe, possibly fell asleep next to him. I guess he didn't bother taking us inside, I mused just as my reason for waking in the first place made itself known.

My mouth was dry and scratchy, thirst burning in my throat. I double checked to make sure Damien was totally out before attempt to sit up; attempt failed. His large arm was slung over my waist, trapping me.

With a huff, I pushed at his arm, which did me no good.

"Damien," I hissed, poking lightly at his stomach. The only response I got was... well, no response. I groaned, attempting to move him again. "You're so big!" I huffed in annoyance, glaring up at the stars.

"That's what she said," he suddenly murmured, his voice heavy with sleep.

My eyes snapped over to scowl at his immaturity; I hated that phrase, with a passion.

"Is that seriously the first thing that comes to mind when you wake up?" I asked in honest curiosity. He smirked at me before rising onto his elbow, still not releasing me.

"No, only when you say something like that." He commented, winking at me. I rolled my eyes and gave his arm a very pointed push.

"I'm thirsty, Damien." I whined when he still refused to move. He raised an eye brow, a smirk still planted on his face.

"Oh, poor baby," He mocked. I glared, clenching my jaw.

"Remove your arm; before I make it impossible for you to make Damien JRs." I threatened. He chuckled but slid his arm off of me.