"Dad's on a hunting trip!"

It was your third semester at college and your second one dating Sam Winchester.
You met him in your biology course and were hitting it off right away.
You started talking when you kept borrowing pens and papers from him.
At one point he asked you out for coffee on a sheet of paper he gave you.
Ever since that date you started dating Sam.
You weren't just dating, you were pretty good friends too.
Inseparable.

No frat party where you and Sam weren't 'beer-pong-partners', no late night learning sessions without each other and curing out hangovers without one another.
4 months into your relationship, you moved in together in an apartment near campus.
You weren't so different from each other.
Your father kicked you out too but not because you wanted to go to college but because you let your mother die on a hunt.
Yes, you were born and raised as a hunter.
But you stopped hunting after your mother's death.
Sam of course didn't know.
You didn't know much about his past either.

The only thing he ever told you was about his older brother Dean.
You also had an older brother but he didn't talk to you anymore after your mother's death.
He also blamed you for it.
The only connection you still had to your family was your little sister Amy.
She admired you and called you every Friday night.
Today was Friday and you had just gotten off the phone with your sister when Sam came in.
He came over and gave you a short but passionate kiss.

"What was that for?" You asked.
"Can't I say hello to my girlfriend?"
"That's not how you usually say hello. I like it!" You said, grinning.

You put your hands behind his neck and kissed him again.

"So, is my boy ready for his interview on Monday?" You ran your fingers down his chest.
"I don't know, to be honest!" He said, scratching the back of his neck.
"Yes you do! It's going to be easy! You're well prepared and you have all the qualities they're looking for in an intern!"
"Thanks, Angie!"

You kissed his cheek and went into the kitchen.
You came back into the living room with a bowl of popcorn and let yourself drop onto the couch.

"I think there's still some food from yesterday in the fridge, if you're hungry?" You threw some popcorn in the air and caught it in your mouth.
"I had lunch with Brady today."

He sat down next to you and put his arm around you.

"We're not going to do this cheesy, hands-touch-in-the-popcorn-bowl-thing, are we?"
"Would you complain if it were to happen?" He smirked.
"Probably not."

You threw some popcorn in your mouth as he planted a kiss on your forehead.
You stayed like this until the movie was over.
You had fallen asleep after 20 minutes.
One of the few things Sam didn't like about you.
He couldn't watch a movie with you because you'd always fall asleep.
You had your head on his leg and yours was hanging off the side of the couch.
You didn't bother waking up when Sam had picked you up and carried you to bed.

•••

It was about 2:30 in the morning when the sound of a creaking door woke you up.
You were halfway laying on top of Sam and he had his arm around you.
You were just in some shorts and your favorite shirt he got you when you got up.

You went into the kitchen where a baseball bat was standing behind the door

You grabbed it and listened to the intruder going through your stuff in the living room.
You stood in the doorway and watched him for a while.
He picked up a picture of you and Sam from spring break.
That's when you sneaked up behind him, pulling back the bat to knock him out.
Sadly he heard you and caught it before you could hit him.
He threw it to the side and you landed a neat hit to his stomach.
You went for another one but he dodged it and pushed you back into the wall.
Before he could break your nose, you ducked down and his fist connected to the wall.
Now on the level of his knees, you pulled his legs out under him and sat on top of him.
Trying to punch him, you only hit the floor because he had rolled his head to the side soon enough.
That gave him enough time to roll on top of you and pin you down.
He didn't do anything but kept your hands still over your head.

"You're not Sam!" Your opponent said with his head tilted to the side.
"And you're not supposed to be here!"

Again, you two rolled over the floor and you stopped on top, grabbing his collar.
You pulled back for a final punch when the lights turned on.
You both looked up to see Sam in the doorway, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

"Angie, what's going on?" Sam said with a raspy voice.
"He broke in here!" You pointed to the guy under you.
"Actually, I'm just here to see my little brother." He put his arms up in defeat.
"Dean?" Sam sounded confused.
"Wait, your brother Dean?" You were just as confused as he was.

You stood up and gave him a hand to get up.

"Um, yes. Dean meet my girlfriend Angie!"

Sam was still confused as to why his brother and his girlfriend were fighting each other in the living room.

"You got yourself a good one Sammy! She almost knocked me out. Twice!"

He sounded genuinely impressed.
Now that you saw each other in light for the first time you saw him shamelessly checking you out.
He was looking you up and down.

"I love AC/DC. You know, I gotta tell you, you are completely out of my brother's league!"
Dean came a little closer.
"Just let me put something on." You backed away a little.
"No, no, no! I wouldn't dream of it! Seriously!"

He was still looking at you and you just now realized that good looks run the family. Not that he was better looking than Sam but he definitely had something to him that made you want to look at him a little longer.

"Hey, look, I gotta borrow your boyfriend for some private family business but...nice meeting you!"

He winked at you and turned around to Sam.

"No. Whatever you have to say, you can say it in front of her!"

Sam immediately put his arm around you as soon as you walked over to him. He always did that and it was one of these little gestures that made you love him even more.

"Okay. Dad hasn't been home in a few days."
"So, he's working overtime on a miller time shift. He'll stumble in sooner or later."

Sam didn't sound as concerned as his older brother.

"Dad's on a hunting trip. And he hasn't been home in a few days!"

Something clicked inside you.
You knew exactly what he was talking about but you couldn't say anything, otherwise your relationship with Sam would be over.

"Angie, excuse us. We have to go outside."

You watched Sam and his brother go outside and close the door.
You knew that this meant the end.
He'd go away for the weekend, trying to find their father but he'd never come back. Maybe to say goodbye but you knew, now that Dean was here you were practically out of the picture.
You went into your shared bedroom and started packing your stuff into a duffel bag.
You sat down at the desk and started writing a note.

______________________________
Dear Sam,
This may seem harsh but I'm leaving!
I know what Dean meant with a 'hunting trip' because I've been on countless hunting trips myself and I know you're not coming back as the same person that is going to leave tonight.
I hope you find your father and make it back on Monday because I only want the best for you and I believe that this internship could really get you places!
Hopefully you won't forget about me.

Love you and good luck

-Angie
______________________________

You took a picture of you and Sam from last year, holding milkshakes and smiling into the camera and zipped up your bag.
You got dressed and grabbed your car keys and went outside through the back.
This night was the last time you ever saw Sam Winchester and it would be the last one for a very long time.