Chapter 2

"Perfection is a disease of a Nation" Beyonce

Do you know what's frustrating? Feeling less than your worth and having to constantly need reassurance from others.

"Trust me, girl. You. Are. Fine" Trish told me while she ate a bowl of fruit mix on the couch.

"Are you sure?" I asked twirling in front of the full-length mirror.

"Yes!" She yelled from the debts of her throat. "Now shhh, you're going to be late for work" She rushed me out pushing me through the door.

"My bag!" I called over my shoulder.

"One step ahead of you" she smiled shoving the straps into my chest before she closes the door I asked again.

"Are you sure I'm OK? "

She gave me a lazy look before rolling her eyes and closing the door. I know it must be tiring, I can only imagine being asked constantly, "How do I look?" "Can I wear this?" Or "Do I look fat in this?".

Well if you're fat you may look fat in it. It is possible that you are annoying someone with these questions, and it is very well possible that they are lying to you. "No you look slim" and you know it's bad when they say, "you are smaller than me". Well not saying some people aren't, you might very well be but struggling to accept yourself.

I got on the 3 C train, it was early morning and I wasn't surprised to see how full it was. Just another typical day in New York's train station where people were rushing off while some was rushing in.

"Excuse me" I mumbled to no one in particular as I fight my way through the seas of people hoping to find a spot where I can hold on, sadly there weren't any and the train doors had closed and began leaving the station. Throughout the entire ride whenever the train turned the sea of the body turned with it until I eventually stumbled up against a tall curly-haired man. He was wearing green loose rip jeans and a black T-shirt.

"Sorry" I mumbled again and tried to find my footing. Unfortunately, that happened about three more times before we reached the next train station and people began to leave. It was in a split second, the door opened people rushed out giving me a brief moment of space and just as people started rushing in again, I saw an empty seat and I rushed towards it taking a sat before the old man could get a chance to even squat.

I looked at the time on my hand and sigh, I was still early. Using my watch as a mirror I fixed my bleach blonde hair that was cut in a bob and I also took out my powder and reapply it to my T zone that began to look a little oily after all that shoving and stumbling. Feeling a few stares on me I look up and saw that 60% of the crowd was looking at me. My skin itched as insecurity start settling again.

How awkward.

I arrived at work one minute early and quickly signed in. I made my way to my office and closed my office door in content. What was my Job? I was a traffic lawyer.

My day consists of meeting people every 15-20 minutes giving them legal advice referencing state laws.

"So why did you park in front of a fire hydrant," I asked looking down on the claims the state had against Michelle.

"That's the thing I didn't park there!" She exclaimed blowing a kinky curl out of her chocolate round face tiredly.

"The police pulled me over, there was nowhere else to park. You know New York" She rolled her fiery gold eyes " It was the only spot available. When she came and saw that I pulled over in front of the fire hydrant she tickets me!" She explained throwing her slim toned hands up in the air to convey her point.

"What a racist bi-"

"That sounds ridiculous to me too," I interrupt her while still reading the claims that the state ruled out on her.

"That's what I'm saying!"

"Well I can write something up for you but you need video evidence to claim your case or else it would be just your words against theirs," I told her smiling.

Honestly, I was tired and wanted to get this over with and done.

"Thank you" she smiled.

"No problem " I smiled as well while clamping her file down on the desk.

As soon as she left the room I throw my head on the desk and ground. Suddenly the door peeked open and I instantly sat up brushing my hair back before plastering a fake smile on my face once more.

"Are you OK?" My coworker Brittany asked concerned.

Relaxing my face I hang my head again and shake it, 'no'

"It's lunchtime but um... There is a customer here who insist on being assisted now... " She mumbled.

I should have known, this is how they treat me at work. They all go out for dinner without inviting me. Any last-minute work to be done they dump it on me. They laugh at times when I walk past and soon as I'm out of my office again they are quite. They were the receptionist, The ones who took company calls, transfer call extensions, book appointments, file and keep customers documents... They are ones that are usually easily replaced.

Do you think that would make me feel better?

"She's new probably only gonna be here for two months max" tusk, they have a reunion every Friday night and hang out. This is how it is in a gender prejudice environment, they do hire males but only for higher-paying positions like department managers, directors and Acting CEO.

"I'll take him," I told her brushing my hair back into its rightful place.

"Thank you" She smiled and walk out then shortly after a knock came.

"Come in" I smiled.

*

I entered my sweet home that smells too funky instead of smelling like vanilla.

"What is this?" I asked to no one as I walked over to my couch suspiciously, and there in my line of vision were used condoms on the floor along with a blanket and in the distance, I could hear giggles emitting from the showers.

"I am home!!" I yelled as I walked into my bedroom slamming the door.

I don't want to be jealous of my best friend I really didn't want to be, but it hurts too much to know that I was an unwanted unattractive 24-year-old Virgin all because of my weight.