Chapter 9

Reality is cruel 

"Kam have you heard? " The voice over the phone asked.
"Hear what?" I asked in a flat note, no interest detected.
"Suzie is pregnant!" I rolled my eyes while flipping through a client file. He ran the red light, four times in one day and hit a police car in the process.
I sighed, how the hell am I supposed to help him?

"I know you would be like this" She sighed over the phone.

Confused I asked, "like what?" Trish was always about drama and gossip. Since she moved three months ago being hours away this had become our daily life. Talking about other people's business because two working class woman has nothing else to do.
"That guy, the one who pop your cherry," She said tiredly.

Also the day Trish left was the last time I saw him.

"What about him?" I asked.

"He's the baby daddy" her words were so fast I almost missed them, but I didn't. The page I was holding in my hand froze over the coffee table. My ears rang and my heart started beating so fast it hurts.

"I knew he was bad news", Trish continued, " It's a good thing that he was just some good old one night stand" She mumbled.

I wish he was though.

"Yea" I mumbled hardly hearing myself.
"I mean he wasn't even that sexy or good looking. Brad could definitely score a perfect ten twice in his rate" Trish continued.
I could see where this conversation is going. All females did it, to the point where it's not even noticeable.
We bad mouth the person we genuinely have a grudge against. Something was just comforting for us to have someone else see the same evil in our nemesis. However today I felt a little different, maybe I was not a female at the moment so I stopped Trish and asked.
"How do you know that for sure?" I asked.
"I told you it's on her Facebook page," She said. I instantly stood up and grabbed my laptop from the kitchen counter and search for her name in my friend's list.

Suzet Burogatta

I saw her familiar sea of green eyes pale white skin and dark freckles that dash across her plumped pale cheeks. Her dirty blonde hair still styled just the way she used to style it in high school. Curls flowing all over and a straight bang covering her secretly huge forehead.I'm sure without those bangs she looks like the flipping princess of forehead kingdom. Without hesitation, I clicked her name and scroll through her profile pictures.

"Oh yea I forgot to tell you, Martha Stewart will be the host at the 100th-day grand opening," Trish said over the phone.

There was a picture of her in cheerleader uniform and pom-poms in her hand smiling sweetly with flat stomach taking the spot light.  Another picture showing flat stomach and long legs, another showing flat ass and tan skin on the beach. 

"Brad is so annoying!" Trish yelled, "BRAD! WHAT IS IT!, NO I Don't WANT TO MEET YOUR MOTHER TOMORROW!"

I started looking at her cover photos and realize that they all are the same.

"TELL YOUR MOTHER I AM NOT GETTING PREGNANT!"

More flat stomach exposed.
"I HAVE A FUTURE TOO! SHE SERIOUSLY DIDN'T EXPECT ME TO GET PREGNANT RIGHT AFTER MARRIAGE?"

Tone long legs again, I sighed.

"THROWING AWAY MY LIFE WASN'T PART OF THE PLAN!"

Same curly blonde hair and straight bangs.

"FINE LET'S GET A DIVORCE!"

"Stop being a drama queen and just go see the woman" I mumbled scrolling down on her Facebook page checking her timeline feed. She sure has one eventful happy life, that I couldn't have because of her cruel words to my self-esteem for 5 years straight.

"Whose side are you on?" Trish asked.
"I'm a lawyer, I don't pick sides," I told her "I compromise for a win or negotiate"

I finally found the picture Trish was talking about. There right in front of my eyes was the proof of Suzet 22weeks stomach and the same gorgeous brown eye man holding onto her chubby hips. Pregnancy has grown a hippo on her body making even her ankles disappear.

"WE ARE DONE TALKING ABOUT THIS!"
Trish's voice snapped me out of my staring hurt of curiosity.
"FINIDO! END! BAM! THIS IS OVER!!"

"I'm sending you the doctor bill tonight via email" I whispered still staring at the picture on my laptop screen. "I think I need medical clearance for an ear infection"

And a betraying heart.

"Great save the email, we'll just get it done in person when I see you tomorrow" She mumbled.

I knew she wouldn't actually leave, as she said they needed each other even if it wasn't love, plus she has a springing business with Martha Stewart as the host. All that thought just to keep my mind busy from his long slender miraculous fingers around her round chubby stomach.  He was smiling down at her, the same million dollar smile he flashed me in my kitchen. Dimples deep and prominent on both side of his cheeks. In fact, he showered me with that pearly heart aching smile the moment I stared at him under the light post on that cold lonely night.

"I'm tired" I flatly told Trish.

I'm tired of a lot of things, including myself. This girl basically ruined someone's life, forcing me to eat lunch in the bathroom for three years. This girl would make sarcastic remarks that felt like a dagger constantly stabbing me in the gut.
'Did you shower fatty?' She then used her perfectly manicured fingers to clasp her nose shut. In front of the entire school.
'There are somethings fat people should stay away from' she always said that whenever I wore tights or skinny jeans or show a little leg or even sleeveless.
Due to her comments, I spent two years in high school wearing huge T-shirts and baggy pants or just maxi dresses with a jacket.

"Me too" Trish whispered. "You know, you are a diamond in my life"

"What?" I whispered in a hoarse voice. I didn't even feel the few betrayed tears silently running down my cheeks, a result from my sad, deeply buried past.

"A diamond" She said thoughtfully, "pretty, precious, expensive just at the perfect size. Not too big or too small"