Step By Step

Caitlin watched in mild amusement as Cisco pursed his lips and huffed loudly. They were in the speed lab, Barry, in his suit, and Iris sat on the lip of the main floor on either side of her. Sonny was standing tall in the centre of the floor, with his legs spread apart and his hands thrust outwards in front of him. His sapphire orbs looked up to Cisco, his expression blank and almost unreadable, his posture swayed from side to side and occasionally he would stagger backwards as though someone had pushed him. Cisco on the other hand, was very easy to read. He scratched the back of his head and puffed out his cheeks, staring over at his teammates. Caitlin gave him an enthusiastic thumbs up, only to receive an eye roll in return. Iris cracked a smile beside her. Cisco was not patient. He never had been. If he couldn't make something happen instantly then he would work restlessly on it until it was completes. So it was understandable that he was becoming frustrated with Sonny. It was not the child's fault either. He had very little control over his powers, he struggled to form a withering and wobbly breach, never mind use vibe blasts. His powers were most likely triggered by emotion, yet the child could not make himself feel it. He has not yet learned the ability to call upon his last experiences to make himself afraid or even sad. It did not help that he could not hear a word Cisco was telling him. Caitlin hummed under her breath, here eyebrows pulled together. "What's up?" The Flash asked, making Caitlin jump.

"Maybe we should leave the training until his hearing and balance returns," Caitlin sighed, watching the child's steady sway

Barry's eyes scanned the pair, "yeah," he let out a rush of air, "Cisco," he called his friend over.

The man in question's head snapped towards them. His eyebrows raised and his blinked slowly, "What's up?" He asked.

"We think we should wait until Sonny has healed to continue this," Barry gestured to the child who was staring at him blankly, "he can't improve if he is struggling to stand," Cisco nodded his head, his curly locks bounced on his shoulders.

The sound of footsteps drew Caitlin's attention to the entrance. It was the Captain, he strode in happily, a smile spread wide across his face, "greeting," he waved to them, "I apologise for my lateness, I was quite unable to find my way to your 'speed Lab'," he commented, gesturing to the Lab, his eyes scanning the room around him.

Caitlin rose to her feet, "sorry, that was ditzy of me, I should have shown you earlier," she shrugged her shoulders apologetically and strode over to meet him, "I hate to disappoint but we have decided to postpone Sonny's lesson until his eardrum is healed and his balance returns,"

He nodded his head, "that's quite alright, I am just happy he is alive," his voice crackled fondly as his soft eyes landed on his son. Sonny noticed his father fairly quickly, and before the Captain could finish speaking his son had enveloped him in a massive hug. The remainder of the team clumped together in the centre of the speed Lab, quietly talking amongst themselves. "Could I spend some time with him now?" He asked, resting the palm of his hand atop his son's head.

"Of course," Caitlin smiled.

The sun blared down on Barry. The screams of children and the grinding of machinery blared in his ears. He used one finger to push his sun glasses up the bridge of his nose. There were people swamping the area around them, tall, rickety beams of metal formed impossible structures that held tonnes of weight. Queues were formed left, right and centre. Caitlin and Cisco trailed at his heels as they pushed through crowds of people, some were holding large pinky fluffy clouds called cotton candy, others long and thin hot dogs. They found their way towards the exit, the screaming and the whoosh of fast travelling carts faded into the background as they made their long trek back to the car. Barry could have run ahead, or even run back to his home, but he didn't. The dirt path below them crunched with every step and tall trees towered in either side of them. "Ugh, dude, I think I am gonna be sick," Cisco wheezed one hand was placed gingerly over his stomach and his face was drained of all colour.

"Again?" Barry asked, raising his eyebrows over his dark glasses.

"I told you not to eat that extra hot dog before you went on the leaning tower of speed," Caitlin tutted, her locks of brown hair swished behind her back.

"Those rides were too fast," Cisco moaned, "I thought I was going to end up in the past," Barry rolled his eyes. Those rides were little more than a gentle stroll for him. He did enjoy the feeling of the wind whipping past his face and the thundering whirring of the tracks below them though.

"Cisco, if you are sick in my car, I will hurt you," Caitlin told him sternly as the car park came into view behind a layer of thick and ageing trees.

Cisco's eyes spread wide as he looked over at her, "I'm sorry, I can't stop myself from being sick," He squeaked.

"Maybe not, but I can," she smirked at him, her eyes twinkled with delight.

"Barry, a little help here dude?" Cisco looked up to his friend, his eyes pleading for help.

"I'm sorry dude, you're on your own for this one," a chuckle escaped the speedsters lips. It had been a while since all three of them had been out together. He needed to admit that he had missed them a lot despite seeing them every day. Working with friends was different from spending time with friends. The latter of which he didn't do often enough. Cisco suddenly took a detour, running for the bushes before disappearing behind them. Caitlin winced for her friend. Barry's expression mirrored hers. What were they going to do with that boy?